VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i need help, im a newbie to t4s, recently swapped my t25 for a petrol t4 and I seem to be having running problems :(Seems to drive ok although hesitates frequently when driving as though it's missing, also when idling from cold its a bit lumpy and feels like its going to cut out and some times does. And when i go up the revs just seems really lumpy. When warm does improve slightly but still not good.
Ive tried searching this forum from top to bottom and have took on board a few ideas. Changed 2 pin temperature sender, cleaned isv and hoses, changed air filter, had a look at the dizzy and spark plugs which all look pretty new and good. Now I'm just left scratching my noggin. the alternator belt does look like it could snap anytime as its very worn and squeals sometimes, would this make any difference? :confused:
Oh and now the thing won't start after running for a bit and cutting out...thinking maybe something to do with not getting fuel? I'm going to try again this morning to see if it starts and then if it doesn't I'll try the rac see if they can and try and start it and then get it to the garage.
Can anyone point me in the right direction before I take it to garage and they start changing parts and charge me for the pleasure, also would anyone now someone who is clued up on these in the Swansea/south Wales area?

·
Registered
188 Posts
hello mate as having a 2.o petrol to with ur starting probelm happened to me starting running lumpy rubbish acc in the end i broke down same simptoms as urs i would get a coil pack from euro car parts make sure it has the amplifier bit attach to the bottom i belive this is what fails and when u turn the van over seems like there is a fuel probelm but thts not the case . aa towed me home telling me it was the fuel pump gone i wasnt so sure coil in the end the coil starts to break down over time and then just goes hope this maybe some help to you .T:

wayne

·
Registered
T4 2 Ltr AAC one of the first RHD off the production line 1991
110 Posts
Hi ya Jonny,

You will see my posts with exactly the same problems, still haven't resolved, when it wouldn't conked out out and wouldn't restart I called the AA the young guy looked about 15, fortunately he wasn't and had previously had a GTi, quick glance and pulled out a can of easy start fired first time. Not recommended for extended use but it got the fuel flowing through and restarted.

Haven't resolved the issue with the usual vac tubes, temp sensor etc, next swap is going to be relay 30 and FP relay.

Let me know how you get on and I will PM you with anything I come up.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello mate as having a 2.o petrol to with ur starting probelm happened to me starting running lumpy rubbish acc in the end i broke down same simptoms as urs i would get a coil pack from euro car parts make sure it has the amplifier bit attach to the bottom i belive this is what fails and when u turn the van over seems like there is a fuel probelm but thts not the case . aa towed me home telling me it was the fuel pump gone i wasnt so sure coil in the end the coil starts to break down over time and then just goes hope this maybe some help to you .T:

wayne
I called the rac out and they changed the coil before looking at anything else, van started up straight away so good shout on that one!!T: Bit strange how the one he replaced looked new though :* maybe I should buy and keep a spare for future reference :)

Engine seems to run sweet when hot now, although still really lumpy from cold. Rac man did say the engine sounds fine and it would be lumpy because of the choke, still not happy though...:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ya Jonny,

You will see my posts with exactly the same problems, still haven't resolved, when it wouldn't conked out out and wouldn't restart I called the AA the young guy looked about 15, fortunately he wasn't and had previously had a GTi, quick glance and pulled out a can of easy start fired first time. Not recommended for extended use but it got the fuel flowing through and restarted.

Haven't resolved the issue with the usual vac tubes, temp sensor etc, next swap is going to be relay 30 and FP relay.

Let me know how you get on and I will PM you with anything I come up.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks for your reply I shall take a look at your posts, Ive heard a lot about that relay 30 so I may change that too for the sake of it :) hope you solve your problems soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
mine does this winter time. but fine in warm weather.
when my fuel pump went you could tell, no buzz--click when ignition turned on.
if you don;t hear that buzz --click the fuel pumps gone. as it starts and runs i'd guess cold start relay or ecu.

·
Registered
T4 2 Ltr AAC one of the first RHD off the production line 1991
110 Posts
Hi Jonny,

I have isolated the lumpy idle and cutting out to the ISV, if I disconnect it it ticks over fine, so I don't know if it s the ISv or another sensor. Try disconnecting yours when it is lumpy and it should return to normal if it is the ISV,

Cheers Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.