VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a set which started out as 6" et54 vito steels banded to 9.5" rear and 9" front. Where will the grief be with these? Am I right in thinking these should sit slightly further under the arch as opposed to using 6.5" et60 with the same bands?
My van is lowered -50mm on HD springs with no shims and is loaded with camping gear etc and -70 up front. Currently I run 215 45 18's and the ride quality is awful, was hoping 205 50 16's would be a bit more comfortable, or am I mistaken? Is anyone running banded steels with this spec?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm looking at a set which started out as 6" et54 vito steels banded to 9.5" rear and 9" front. Where will the grief be with these? Am I right in thinking these should sit slightly further under the arch as opposed to using 6.5" et60 with the same bands?
My van is lowered -50mm on HD springs with no shims and is loaded with camping gear etc and -70 up front. Currently I run 215 45 18's and the ride quality is awful, was hoping 205 50 16's would be a bit more comfortable, or am I mistaken? Is anyone running banded steels with this spec?
i'm running 9.5J ET 22 +9J ET29 fronts with 205 50 tyres...tyres in that spec aren't great load rating...91 max T: but are XL

so, am assuming you have had 3.5" bands to the rear and 3" bands to the front ( 6 to 9.5/9J) you will have a 9.5J ET10 wheel rear and a 9J ET16 front... from my experience chief the final offset will be too low to stay legal, if your van is prefacelift you may get away with it at the back, but the fronts will stick out a country mile...

stretching the tyres may help the legality of tread showing but your tyre will have to be a low profile one and back again to poor load rating

for me, i would leave well alone... they will go on, prob look a bit naff at the front and prob wont be legal...

on most suitable steels the max you can go to is a 3" band rear and 2.5" up front....on a T4 anyway

HTH :ILU:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
been over this many times on the banded steel thread

6.5j x 16 et60 vito steels.....max width on rear 3inch band making a 9.5j rear wheels...roughyl et22 i think

6j x 16 et54 vito steels....max width on rear 3inch band making a 9j rear wheels..roughly et15

both wheels have 3inch bands.....both will sit the same on the van....

3.5inch band poss on early pre 96 vans...

all above will need wedges...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers chaps. I was worried this might be the case and thought they might poke a bit too much T:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm running 9.5J ET 22 +9J ET29 fronts with 205 50 tyres...tyres in that spec aren't great load rating...91 max T: but are XL

so, am assuming you have had 3.5" bands to the rear and 3" bands to the front ( 6 to 9.5/9J) you will have a 9.5J ET10 wheel rear and a 9J ET16 front... from my experience chief the final offset will be too low to stay legal, if your van is prefacelift you may get away with it at the back, but the fronts will stick out a country mile...

stretching the tyres may help the legality of tread showing but your tyre will have to be a low profile one and back again to poor load rating

for me, i would leave well alone... they will go on, prob look a bit naff at the front and prob wont be legal...

on most suitable steels the max you can go to is a 3" band rear and 2.5" up front....on a T4 anyway

HTH :ILU:
Is there a formula for this? I can't work out how this is calculated :*

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
ok...here goes for the last time :D

if you have a 6J ET60 wheel and band it to 9J, this equates to a 3" or 75mm band... (3x25mm...25mm equalling 1")

to find your final ET you divide the total of the band by 2 ie 75mm divided by 2 = 37.5 and you then take that off the original starting ET of 60 which gives you your final ET, which in this case will be 22.5..so a 6J ET60 wheels witha 3" band will end up as a 9J ET 22.5

therefore a 6.5J ET 60 wheel with a 2" band equates to 50 divided by 2 = 25, taken away from 60 = ET35 so it would be an 8.5J ET 35 witha 2" band...

any clearer...;)

:ILU:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! I was thinking 3" bands added a full 3 inches to the offset measurement, didn't realise it was half! Der ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts