VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, although I have pretty much finished the build now, ive been asked how I did it a few times now. I will post it up as i get time.So here goes.

Summer 2011
one mot failed 1998 caddy bought for £120

over the next few months slowly striped down , selling many of parts on flea bay as I went. Sold engine and gear box for £200T:

back axle removed and fliped dropping it by over 100mm

made up a frame using box tubing this was mainly done by lining trailer up with van. Making sure that ride height and angle are correct also making sure the draw bar length is long enough too so on a tight turn it's not going to hit the side of the van . many thanks go to Battlebus for his build thread for the fixing points etc.
Used a brand new hitch as i couldn't find a good enough second hand one (how much:eek:)

should also point out I fitted new dampers, brake shoes,wheel bearings,hand brake cables(These are going to used for the over run brake system)
Took it for a quick tow round the block to make sure it towed ok (made sure no one was lookingI: towed great

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I love that people get it and do their own trailerT: mine was perfect for me for a long time and I got loads of entertainment out of it. Sadly it's not really needed anymore but I feel really good about helping people with their projects in whatever way I can.

I might do another trailer one day, it was that much fun. Keep going with your thread dude. It's ace :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So on with the build,
With the frame made up welded and tested it was time for front. Couldn't decide what to do or what I liked . Looked at using the old bonnet but it was to heavy . This got me thinking about using fibreglass(something I use at work). Then my daughter said she could sleep in it as she was now to big for the cab bed and the awning is a bit cold! So out with the tape measure only to find the floor in the trailer is a bit short, so would need extending. Couldn't really come up with solution until a few weeks later when I'm working on a friends splitty. A curved front would fit round air bed and look fairly cool.

made up a ply frame ,then stretched polyester fleece over it and soaked in resin. Then used glass chop mat on inside for strength

Home made tent required as house was stinking of fibreglass resin.I:
Made it in three parts as this made it easier to fit round the draw bar and I could remove it. When all dry and solid if a little heavier than i hoped . I bolted and bonded it back on to the rear . Smoothed out joins with bondo (was expecting a few cracks but only had one small one even after 2 years and about 2000 miles ).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love that people get it and do their own trailerT: mine was perfect for me for a long time and I got loads of entertainment out of it. Sadly it's not really needed anymore but I feel really good about helping people with their projects in whatever way I can.

I might do another trailer one day, it was that much fun. Keep going with your thread dude. It's ace :D
Have you sold it yet? You know it's a caravan next!;);)

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Have you sold it yet? You know it's a caravan next!;);)
It will not be a crocking caravan dude, I am not incontinent you know:eek: seriously, looking for an excuse to take less stuff which is the only bad side effect of the caddy, she brings sooooo much stuff :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With front, body,doors etc all smooth it was time to get it painted. Took trailer round to a few paint shops but was getting quoted around a grand to get it painted:eek: The whole build so far was probably less than half that! Couldn't justify that amount of my hard earned, so I'm going to paint it my self .Never done anything this big before and never in my little garage under my house . spraying not really an option due to mess and smell etc.
After a bit of Internet research came across a product called Rustolium. It seems alot of people in the states have been painting their cars with it by hand:eek: ie with a brush or roller for years with some really good results. So in for penny in for a pound, well £100 ,Inc rollers, pots, thinners, primers and mixing wisk . It was time to get on with it. Metal primer on first thinned by 10% brushed into the hard to reach areas, rolled on to the flat bits.(took a bit of time to get technique right so I didn't get roller marks) . used a plastic primer on bumper before painting in the same primer as body. Left to dry and the flatted down with wet and dry.

I

With to coats of primer and a bit more flating out it was colour time . thought about two tone splitty style but thought best keep it simple just in case it didn't come out too well.

with 6 coats of paint thinned 10% flatted out between each

with a bit of polish and buffing it came out ok . most people would not believe it was painted with the roller! Really pleased with it especially as it was a tenth of the price as getting it sprayed

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
With the paint done I under sealed the whole trailer and waxoyled the inside of sills etc. gave the frame a couple of coats of hammerite and waxoyled inside it as well.

With that done it was time for the interior.

Used 25mm polystyrene insulation behind all panels and below roof and floor. 50mm in behind the fibre glass front

used the usual stretchy carpet to trim it out ,vinyl on floor and started to make some light weight storage

added some led lights ,leisure battery and old zig charge / fuse board and 240v out socket

and that's about it really even the wife seems to like itI:(need a new project now);)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like this very much, especially the storage unit. Any chance of some details and piccys of what you did for the roof lining?

I'm looking to do something similar with my Caddy, although I will be keeping the front end attached (crazy I know, but it may just catch on.....) I:

Cheers
Pete
keeping the front on would make moving it about easier,especially with a engine etcLOL:

fitted a couple of battens across the roof giving a bit of space for 25mm insulation

then 3mm ply covered in blue alcantara(left over from doing t4).Bit 1970's I know but looked better than more gray carpet.
good luck with you caddy got any photos

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not really got any picture to show, it's a silver van with some rust and badly faded orange wheels......

did you bond the battens to the roof or screw them in place?
I know what you saying;) most of the ones I looked at were rotten but there are a few good ones.

The battens were screwed and bonded to the ribs using a flexible adhesive . The curved side bits are made from a flexible bit of acrylic covered in carpet. Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts