VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 VW T5 Shuttle SE LWB Automatic 174 AXE
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My old T5 has been off the road for some years waiting for me to get around to replacing the Cam and I've finally got round to it.

I dropped a bollock though and undid the bloody head bolts ( I can take solace in the fact I'm not the first to make this error but still felt like a newb and right nob) so carried on and took the head off figured I'd check the bores and look for the cracks in the head I've read about.

I'm going to clean the head, do the injector seals, fit the cam & clean the intake manifold this weekend. Although the intake isn't too dirty as I blanked the EGR years ago.
I'll refit it when I get the bolts and gasket. Then pray it'll pass the MOT after sitting for the best part of 3yrs.

One follower was getting very worn and 5 of the others I cold feel/see wear starting and one cam lobe is slightly rounded. I'm certain this is just down to poor design/parts quality and not whether you use 506/507 oil....but that debate has been done to death :)

Gotta get a new battery as the existing one shows 12.7v but the engine won't spin, I tested it with the 2nd battery and that turned it over so the main battery is duff. They've been off the van and charged occasionally while it's been off the road

Also going to also need an intercooler as mine has lost 2 of its straps and has blown slightly. Looks like I'll have to get the skinny standard one due to funds.

So my questions are:

Where do people recommend getting the head gaskets from etc.

I see the cam kits come with a seal 70103407 but there wasn't one in my head, anyone know why?.......maybe the all knowing @festa can help?

Is there any advantage to using a universal intercooler off ebay over the std skinny VW one? apart from looks and the hassle of making it fit. I'm not planning any tuning more interested in efficiency...might get it mapped someday.

Please take a look at my list and tell me if I've missed anything?

No code has to be inserted here.

Some pics of the Cam followers
OH!

OH! I found this little fella lurking and having his lunch behind my wheel

·
Registered
3 Posts
My camshaft failed last year at 160K miles - sharp lobes on the cam and a hole in the hydraulic tappet. (2007 2.5tdi BPC engine). It was a tricky job because removing the inlet manifold requires the radiators to be moved forward.

As your head bolts have been loosened, I would consider whether it is worth putting a complete new head on, all new valves etc. Then at least you'll know it is all good.

For gaskets, I would stick to Elring stuff; they look good quality to me. They have an online catalogue for the numbers. There is also a really good video on yutub, "Elring - Professional Installation of Cylinder Head Gaskets".

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the same mistake with the cylinder head bolts on ny engine so I can relate to that noob feeling :)

With the head off I'd recommend you have the injectors tested and valves and seats looked at. I lapped the valves by hand but wasn't really satisfied with the result and then I ran out of time. Next time I will let someone else give the entire head an overhaul.

I don't know what type of engine you have but on a BNZ you also need:
Diamond coated washer
Excentric pin bolt
Camshaft drive gear bolt
Tandem pump gasket
Rocker shaft bolts
Silicone for no 1 camshaft bearing cap and the one on the pump side

And obviously
Inlet, exhaust and turbo gaskets
Camshaft bearings, bolts

Also check the crankcase breather valve while you're at it.

·
Registered
2005 VW T5 Shuttle SE LWB Automatic 174 AXE
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all back together now and hopefully I'll fire it up later today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts