VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i have some stuff for insulation which i will tackle first but my main question is once my metals been covered and the boards for the walls, how do you attach the panels to the walls without the screws showing?

also on ebay there are some window surround finishers made in fibre glass, anyone used these and are they any good?

cheers

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Make sure you have a counter sunk hole in the ply board, then get a sharp (as in brand new!!) Stanley blade and make a small slit over the screw hole, peel back the carpet on both sides, pop the screw in, once in, flatten the carpet back down.

If needed a tiny bit of glue can be dabbed back in the hole but I found i rarely needed that.

It's a little touch and makes a massive difference.

The carpet tends to dull the blade quickly so change it reasonably often.

Also something like a lolly stick or thin piece of wood might stop you making the slit too long...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats too fly! never would have gone that route but it makes all the sense in the world! thanks for your help

Anyone else used the window frame kits off of ebay?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, when I finally get my main recessed lights sorted, I'll start ripping the poor attempt at lining the previous owner tried! He hasnt used a proper wood kit but still think the I might be able to utilize the boards he made.....

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Not exactly 'hiding - but a far easier solution that looks very nice is to use the black anodised plasterboard screws.

The beauty is also that you don't need to pre-drill (and potentially up where you put them) as you can simply place the boards in the right place and then hammer the screw through the board and into the metalwork to get it started, then screw it in - obviously you don't HAVE to do this, but it can help with getting the placement right - and even if you knack one of the screws up by doing this, once the hole is 'tapped', simply use another fresh screw!

As for countersinking - never needed to do that, as the thickness of any decent carpet is more than enough to allow the screw head to sit flush.....especially if you go all posh and scrim it first T:

·
Registered
87 Posts
HI with regards to the window finish, consider using curtains from VANX, most of the window surround is covered leaving just a small area to cover, I used the rubber seal to finish.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See here
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89776

I just carpeted the whole side in one go wheel arches etc, the whole lot, so no joints just glue.
Mark
How the hell you manage that?! this is my first van and attempting it all myself, i'm not thick when it comes to most things but starting to think ive bitten off more thrn I can chew!

Today I ripped out the poor attempt of lining the van from previous owners! The wood he used wasnt a proper lining kit and looked like he used his teeth to trim the wood! its all been binned! by the time i took the 500 random screws out the suspension went up another inch!

I've flashing taped the roof and foil bubble wrapped it too, need to wipe down and start the sides. With a proper ply kit does it come with press studs? and did you attach the walls before covering?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I lined out with ply I cut myself (after fully insulating and soundproofing) the carpet really wasnt that bad to do, it is very stretchy and you need to use plenty of spray glue. Let me know if you need any more info or pics etc. This is my first van conversion too so I was learning as I went along. I found the windows hardest to do as they where already fitted. But just remove all seals, carpet under them and then replace seals. As I say I did the full sides of the van in one go, top to bottom and over the wheel arches and then cut out the windows. I also did the whole of the rear door and sliding door as I dont think it looks right with bare metal anywhere on a modern van, so fully covered even seat bases etc where done. Where abouts are you ?

Mark:)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
mark you have done a brilliant job on your van, ive got mine to do and this thread have given me some good ideas, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.