1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
105 Posts
I contacted that person too and left my mobile number, then got a reply from Amy as a text message the next day.

If you are still interested in the 2006 VW T5 Transporter T30 please contact me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Then there was an email from someone called Davide. Conning snots! Got to be so careful these days.

Hello,

The van is still for sale in excellent condition, with no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £7,100 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go strictly according to eBay and PayPal rules and policy.

Thank you
Davide

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know mate, I can't find the advert anymore, but to be honest the picture was of a really nice T5 with all the right bits and pieces and low mileage, definitely worth more than they were advertising it for.

I still haven't figured out what the scam is, as in, how are they trying to rip people off. I guess they want you to pay money to them as a deposit and then you'll never hear from them again, but as they want to use PayPal, isn't the buyer protected from fraud anyway?
I find it a bit odd that there's a load of cars and vans at the moment for sale with this similar type of scam feel about them. The seller usually has 100% feedback for about a 100 or so transactions, if you check the feedback they're all buying of small things, and the buyer normally has a bunch of really nice cars listed all under priced. Then the wording in the ad always says something like, provide your mobile number or you won't get an immediate response, or something like that. Also each advert seems to be real apart from the added bit about the mobile number, like they've copied other peoples adverts or something. :*

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I don't know mate, I can't find the advert anymore, but to be honest the picture was of a really nice T5 with all the right bits and pieces and low mileage, definitely worth more than they were advertising it for.

I still haven't figured out what the scam is, as in, how are they trying to rip people off. I guess they want you to pay money to them as a deposit and then you'll never hear from them again, but as they want to use PayPal, isn't the buyer protected from fraud anyway?
I find it a bit odd that there's a load of cars and vans at the moment for sale with this similar type of scam feel about them. The seller usually has 100% feedback for about a 100 or so transactions, if you check the feedback they're all buying of small things, and the buyer normally has a bunch of really nice cars listed all under priced. Then the wording in the ad always says something like, provide your mobile number or you won't get an immediate response, or something like that. Also each advert seems to be real apart from the added bit about the mobile number, like they've copied other peoples adverts or something. :*

The ad is marked as ended but is still there is you search (click on "see original listing" in small print after headline) but price has disappeared. In this case the seller had no eBay history or rating and only opened the account less than a month ago. However this time they had no other items for sale. Most of these scammers have numerous rip off ads for different vehicles all listed on the same day. No mention of PayPal in the ad only an email to say they will use PayPal rules but who knows they would probably want a bank transfer or some other dodge, but I don't think PayPal provides any protection eBay certainly doesn't for motors!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ah right mate, I couldn't remember the exact details of this particular advert.

I had been trying to find a decent T5 for a while, and kept finding these 'a bit too good to be true' adverts on eBay, Gumtree and even autotrader!
Most of the ones I looked at or contacted had a similar type of write up, and there was always some sort of delay getting a reply which always came through being a bit suspicious. That person called Amy text me back from two totally different adverts, and the text somehow had no number displayed, just came through from Amy as if it was a stored contact. I couldn't call the number, on text it, and after I did I got some pile of bull back both times about shipping to me at their expense if I make it a fast deal.

·
Registered
567 Posts

The key bit is that they claim to deliver it.

You pay the amount to a Paypal account which they say will hold the money. In the mean time they apparently deliver the van to you, if you decline the sale, they take the van back and you get your money back. If you want the van, they apparently leave the van and the money is then released to them. Of course that never actually happens.

What does happen is, you pay the money to a fake paypal account and they have it. Of course you havent been to their property to even look at the van, so no address for them etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The key bit is that they claim to deliver it.
What does happen is, you pay the money to a fake paypal account and they have it. Of course you havent been to their property to even look at the van, so no address for them etc.
That's what I thought my be the plan. My gut instinct told me to run for the hills and don't reply to anymore messages! I didn't run far coz I'm not very fit but I stopped talking to the thieving gits and went to buy a van that wasn't as good, but at least I could look at it and try it before parting with my hard earned!

I just feel really sorry for any poor suckers that do get ripped off. I know if I had parted with the money I just paid for my new van and got conned out of it, I'd be ruined! There's so much of this scamming going on, people must be being had :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
A fool and his money are easily parted though. I have little sympathy for people who fall for these clearly obvious scams. If something is thousands £ less than rest of vans for sale with a similar spec then it is too good to be true. This "working in Scotland, I can deliver" scam has been doing the rounds for a few years now and it's not like the story rings true either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I thought my be the plan. My gut instinct told me to run for the hills and don't reply to anymore messages! I didn't run far coz I'm not very fit but I stopped talking to the thieving gits and went to buy a van that wasn't as good, but at least I could look at it and try it before parting with my hard earned!

I just feel really sorry for any poor suckers that do get ripped off. I know if I had parted with the money I just paid for my new van and got conned out of it, I'd be ruined! There's so much of this scamming going on, people must be being had :(
Hi cam across this forum doing a bit of research for my hubby, he's been looking for VW or Vauxhall transporter etc... He too saw two ads one for 2011 VW white with black bonnet reg no NU61 CZO going for £5280 yep from Amy email [email protected] same wording as previously IN SCOTLAND etc....PayPal payment etc.... Now we also enquirer about Vauxhall Vivaro reg? It was selling for £4500? Then came txt msg again from AMY [email protected]....

I emailed this Amy, giving link to this forum, saying time to set the record straight if you are genuine I have family in Scotland they will call to view the vehicle immediately and they will have the CASH.....as predicted NO reply to that email all I can say is, there are at least 3 vehicles now all selling through EBay ALL SCAMS and looking like the same person.......ITS A CASE IF BUYER BEWARE ....IF YOU ARE VIEWING THIS FORUM AMY...?..you can assume more people are going to do a google check of your various emails and they will no doubt find these posts.........wow this is a hard site to register on!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've seen a similar type of advert in all of the regular places you'd look to buy a car/van. I haven't heard anything about anybody actually parting with any money yet. I'm surprised that the adverts haven't been removed from ebay, gumtree, auto trader etc., because people must be complaining :*

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lol idiots! They could at least try and make an effort to make the advert seem real, £2500, no vat, no outstanding finance for a 2011 immaculate Transporter. They're just being silly now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/-vw-t4-campervan-fully-converted-/1171905334 :*

Hi , Because i`m in Plymouth (PL9 9RP) the entire transaction will be completed trought eBay and PayPal . They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and the transfer of the camper papers to your name.You don't have to pay anything extra,the total price that you must pay for this camper is £3,950.
Here is how the process works:
I will make a private eBay listing for you.
You will have to click "buy it now",fill in the forms and follow the instructions.
PayPal will send you an invoice with all the transaction details and the payment instructions.
You will have to secure the funds to PayPal. After the funds will be secured to PayPal,the delivery will begin and the camper will arrive to you in max.48 hours.
When the camper will be in your custody, you will have a 7 days inspection period. If everything is alright, the transaction ends and PayPal will release the money to me. If there is something wrong with the camper, you will be fully refunded and I'll get my camper back too, without any extra fees. Everything is covered by PayPal & eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it.
I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.. I had similar experience for a t5 on eBay.. Offered to travel across to Ireland and do a deal direct. Amy says they can't because of work commitments & the sale will go through eBay/PayPal.

If it smell dodgy.. It often is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dont understand, there are so many of these scams about now, why arent the police getting involved. It wouldnt take them much to set up an operation to catch these people.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts