VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANOTHER EGR VALVE BLANKING – 2.5TDI - job done

Encouraged by the many postings on this topic I summoned up the courage to remove the EGR valve from my 2002 T4 2.5TDI 88BHP campervan. The arrangement of the EGR system on this engine is a little different from the recent 1.9 posting. Even though the van had only done some 53,000 miles there was a phenomenal build up of black gunge inside the valve. A lot of the mileage has been short journeys which may have contributed. The gunge was scraped out and washed out using wooden sticks, an old paintbrush and Gunk. The result was not as pristine as a photo elsewhere on this site but hopefully good enough.

It was only through reading this site that this potential cause of inlet restriction / blockage was known about and also how relatively easily it could be resolved (albeit a filthy job). Had not previously seen any mention in the vehicle handbook or manuals. Having now seen for myself the state of the inside of my EGR valve think periodic cleaning the valve should be included in the maintenance schedules - at least as frequently as changing belts say. To anyone who has never had cause to remove and check the state of their EGR valve my recommendation would be to do so as soon as convenient. It is not difficult – on this engine only six socket head screws to be removed - all accessible and all at a comfortable working height. A suggestion is to put a decorator’s dust sheet or similar between the engine and radiator before removing any of the screws since if one is dropped it could well involve having to remove the heavy sump guard in order to retrieve.

When refitting the valve a decision needs to be made whether to remake the connections exactly as previously or to blank off the exhaust connection. This is a personal decision but based on many favourable comments on this site I have done so. I made a blanking plate from a spare piece of thin steel (a corner plate from slotted angle shelving actually) and fitted it between the valve and the exhaust interconnect pipe with a new gasket each side. I thought about fitting it between the exhaust manifold and the pipe but the manifold bolts were difficult to reach, were rusty and I did not want to risk shearing either of them off. I also thought about removing the inlet manifold for a more thorough cleaning but chickened out. Instead I stuffed rag into the manifold, scraped the worst of the gunge from around the opening, and then carefully withdrew the rag together with any loose bits. Think it says somewhere on this site that if a blank is fitted then the system will clean itself up in due course. Not sure how this comes about but in any event the extent of cleaning carried out is a vast improvement to how it was.

Two new gaskets for blanking the exhaust interconnection plus a new gasket for between the EGR valve and the inlet manifold came to £7.22 from the local VW main stealer. This was my total expenditure on the job (plus Gunk). By the way does anyone know a source of thin sheet fibre gasket material? (All I can find locally is flimsy gasket paper.) Sheet gasket material would have enabled new gaskets to have been made at home and avoided two trips to the main stealer – once to order and again next day to collect.

Will report in due course if any differences in vehicle performance are noticed.

Now a few questions for the more knowledgeable please

1) Without a blanking plate, under what operating conditions would the EGR valve exhaust interconnection port be open and when would it be closed?

2) When the EGR valve was removed for cleaning it could be seen that the exhaust gas port is normally closed and is only opened by suction on a diaphragm. Could not the same result as fitting a blanking plate be achieved, much more simply, merely by detaching the suction hose and plugging its end? Have seen this question asked elsewhere on this site but there was no answer.

3) What is the function of the suction operated butterfly valve incorporated into the EGR valve?

4) Is my understanding correct that the sole purpose of the EGR system is merely to keep emission levels under certain operating conditions below some arbitrary value? If so, and if doing this results in a gunged up intake then think I can live with slightly higher emissions resulting from blanking off the exhaust interconnection.

5) Finally can anyone (particularly anyone who has had an EGR blanking plate fitted for some while) confirm that it does not lead to any long term harm to the engine?

Next job is to get rid of the cat and fit a stainless steel exhaust system. Again the option of removing the cat on a diesel engine is something I have only learnt about from this site. Thanks to all the contributors.

Alleygater

·
Registered
558 Posts
Re: ANOTHER EGR VALVE BLANKING – 2.5TDI - job done

hi do you have the egr gasket vw code please???
:ILU:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Ref; egr blanking plate. I went all the way and bought a egr removal kit from allisport on ebay for my 2.5 tdi multivan. The build up of carbon in the egr/inlet manifold was huge, so a good clean up was carried out. I also fitted a stainless de-cat pipe and performance air filter and the results are great! No
more restrictions make the engine more responsive and more economical (its a 102 bhp).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

A word of caution for anyone cleaning the gunge out of their EGR valve. Do be very very careful to catch and properly dispose of the gunge. It is very black, slightly greasy and sticks to anything on the merest contact. Do the cleaning over sheets of newspaper for example which can then be wrapped up and put in the bin. I was obviously not as careful as I thought because black marks have since appeared on the carpets indoors and door edges - presumably spread by shoes and overalls. I am therefore very much in the doghouse with she who must be obeyed. For my pennance have had to spot clean all the marks and could well have to fund full house carpet cleaning. So much for an inexpensive mod!!!
Alleygater

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

For WISE MONKEY. The VW part no for the oval gasket at the joint between the interconnect pipe and the EGR valve is P V069 131 547 D @£2.09 each +VAT. You will need two - one for each side of the blanking plate. Not sure if it is the same gasket reference should you choose to put the blank at the joint between the interconnect pipe and the exhaust manifold. The flanges look similar but not sure if identical.

The square gasket at the joint between the EGR valve and the inlet manifold is VW part no P V028 129 748 @£1.83 + VAT.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have any answers to the queries raised in the original posting?

Alleygater

·
Registered
436 Posts

I did this to mine yesterday bought a plate off Ebay for £3 it wasn't worth DIY.

108k and wasn't too gunged up maybe 1mm thick.

I simply used a smear of exhaust paste rather than gaskets.

I didn't noticed any difference to the van.

·
Registered
558 Posts

did mine last weekT:

trouble was taking the intercooler off,and the 4 rubber bolts spinning round when you undo it and ripping:(

just under a £10each:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts

Ref; egr blanking plate. I went all the way and bought a egr removal kit from allisport on ebay for my 2.5 tdi multivan. The build up of carbon in the egr/inlet manifold was huge, so a good clean up was carried out. I also fitted a stainless de-cat pipe and performance air filter and the results are great! No
more restrictions make the engine more responsive and more economical (its a 102 bhp).
hello mate got 2007 crafter 2.5 bjk had the dpf out and been remappedbig difference. but bought a stainless steal replacement for the egr to get rid off the egr completly but have trouble finding someone to map it out. saying they cant do it cos the plug that goes into the old egr needs to be plugged into sumthink. the stainless blanking kit has no plug and ideas thanks ??

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

The wife's Toyota gave me the same problem, I removed the electrical motor assembly from the top of the EGR valve, plugged it in and tucked it out of sight. The ECU was happy and the EGR was blanked off.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Alleygater,

In answer to your original post, question 3:

The 'butterfly' flap in the air intake is an Anti-Shudder Valve, the purpose of which is to close on shutdown and bring the engine to a smoother stop than would otherwise be the case. By starving the engine of air it eliminates the violent shuddering caused when a piston has compressed a cylinder full of air but fails to get over TDC as the engine slows to a stop, and so essentially tries to drive the engine backwards. I have read that this sudden reversal of forces can cause premature wear to cambelts and other components.

I have read that the valve shuts for approx. 3 seconds when the ignition key is switched off.

Can anybody else explain the full function of the EGR valve? I've never really understood its workings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts