VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, seems like I'm in the same boat as a lot of the other new forum members.

I'm currently on the hunt for my first van, looking for a SWB, not bothered about colour, number of windows or seats. Would like a straight panal really with not too many miles, say around 100k. I'm wanting to convert it into a sort of day van, something I can sleep in and carry all my kites and boards, with enough space to change in and out of a wetsuit. I have a few ideas on how to make it my own which no doubt I will be pestering the experts about in due time.

It turns out it's not so easy finding just the right van, I've got around 3k to spend on the van with a bit left over to throw at the coversion. Am I being too fussy or perhaps just a bit impatient?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Welcome matey, there are some cracking deals about at the moment on vans, so I would say your budget is right but what do I know T:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Be fairly fussy on what you expect. For 2 - 2.5k you should get a decent 2.5TDi panel with service history but it will be around 9 yrs old with 100k plus on it. If its been well looked after it isnt a problem. Should leave you enough money for alloy/tyre deal (bout 450-600 quid) and lowered (shop around). I got my middies, sub and amp for 60 quid all in on Ebay and paid 70 for a professional to fit. The rest you do over time - adding r'n'r, storage seat/bins, spoiler, front seats etc. treat it as a work in progress and remember its going to be an obsession as soon as you pull away.H:LOL:H:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the warm welcome guys.

After searching on ebay and the like I've actually looked at a couple of vans now, both look pretty tidy but have a few things wrong, in particular there was warm air blowing from the side vents but not the center ones. I heard that a faulty heater matrix is quite common on these and it seems that is the case with both vans unless I'm mistaken.

Anybody know of a good place to look, website or other? I'm willing to drive a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum T:

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Cheers for the warm welcome guys.

After searching on ebay and the like I've actually looked at a couple of vans now, both look pretty tidy but have a few things wrong, in particular there was warm air blowing from the side vents but not the center ones. I heard that a faulty heater matrix is quite common on these and it seems that is the case with both vans unless I'm mistaken.

Anybody know of a good place to look, website or other? I'm willing to drive a bit.
Thats normal bud ;) Only vans with air con blow warm air through the centre vents, the rest are warm on the outside......cold on the inside T:

Welcome

Chris :ILU:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully with summer here (apparently) thats how the van will be when I've finished, hot on the outside and :cool: on the inside :D:D

Now I feel like a bit of a muppet, that doesn't sound right to me tho. Anyways, off tomorrow to look at a few :ILU:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update to those who might be interrested.

I've just picked up my first T4, she's a 2.5 TDI and looking pretty standard at the mo but that won't be the case for long :).

Just out of curiosity (sp?) where are poeple going for insurance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts