VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am looking at putting the following splitter on my grey van of love and just wonder if anyone has gone down the round of painting the fog light and inset strip in black.

I know that it has been done on various other colours but interested to see if anyone has done so on a grey?

If not I am after the same front end as Tony here

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=202718

, and if someone could photoshop the look i'm thinking of I would be grateful.

Would do it myself but I don't get on with PS

Hope you guys can help

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks good on the close up mate how do you do it?

If I gave you a pic for my front end face on thats in better light could you cut the splitter onto mine and see what it looks like?

Only it's hard to see on Tony's pic.

Thanks for what you've done though! T:

What are your thoughts or anyone elses for that matter?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought, Could you black the grille and the foot holes too. Mine is chrome less so it may look a bit more normal.

here's mine anyway

thanks again

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll do this tomorrow morning bud. You want above number plate and steps plus the lowere grill. Anything else from that image? I'll tell you how
to do it when back infront of my beast work PC!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I don't really know.

What do the team white guys who black bits up do?

Want it to look a bit meaner thats all and not so all grey. I'm not a chrome pan either so I will either go black front VW or badgeless and I seemed to remember people black the back horizontal bits in the foot stand points.

Thanks for your help though dude

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use Photoshop CS5.5 as part of the production premium package at work. It's by Adobe and costs a bit unless you know a student or get a non-legit copy. For most things Photoshop Elements is ok, but there are free alternatives like GIMP which is free and also cross platform: http://www.gimp.org

How I did it:
- Zoom in so image is at a good size for detailed work, yet you can still part of the overall image.
- Select the Polygonal Lasso tool and press Caps lock. This changes the cursor icon to a cross hair.
- Click on the image at the starting point on the edge of the area you want to colour.
- Keep clicking as you move around the edge to draw the shape.
- Once you get to back to where you started a little circle will appear on the cursor/cross hair. This lets you know you have done a loop and you should now see a strobing marquee.
- Now hold shift if you want to do another area at the same time. A little plus + sign will appear by the cursor to let you know you are adding to the seletion.
- Once you have everything you want selected, copy and paste.
- This will paste only the selection on top of the original layer. Call this Colour layer.
- With this layer selected in the layer window, double click to the righ hand side of it on the layer stack. This will bring up a popup window for layer style fx.
- Choose colour overlay. Change the blend mode from normal to Hue.
- Click on the colour box beside it and hey presto! Have a realtime preview of any colour you select!

You can do this loads of other ways but this is the way I have always done it! This way you keep the natural lighting effects but just change the colour.

To really do a proper job you can use layers. For example, with the original images i missed the fog lights.As they were not coloured or smoked, i should have cut round them from the background layer and pasted them on top of the colour layer. This way they would have stayed bright silver/clear. For example me being lazy and overlaying the selection with black:

Me then cutting the fogs from the background and pasting on top as they would look in real life:

It might seem like a bit of effort, but once you have done it you can keep the file and export jpegs of any colour! I'm happy to guide any of you through the basics! Just help me on the van front yeh :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek::*:*:*:*. I've got a headache reading that I can get by on computers but that just fried my head LOL:

This is what I'm good at

Thanks anyway , always glad to help with van questions if I can T:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sweet! Looks loads more fun compared to staring at a PC. Must have it's hairy moments! I've been a video design geek for ages! Stick me infront of a fire and i'd be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
We don't drive round in small red trucks thinking all the women
Love us , lol
I am also a retained firefighter so do both

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose you must be even further at the hatred end as far as two job firefighters go with the airport gig LOL:

I think when I am ready to hang up my uniform I may give it a crack and smash out 2 jobs ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts