VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm having a mare! My mate popped around work yesterday afternoon and asked for help changing his shocks, rear left no dramas. Rear right...... WOW!!!

Basically the top bolt is moving and unbolted from its securing end but the inner metal tube that it slides through on the shock is stuck on the bolt and no longer in the top of the shock. My description sounds terrible so i have drawn a picture (which won't rotate properly on the wires mac. Great!)

Now the bolt is out at the securing end but won't slide out... it won't go back in either so it can't be driven. Any ideas on how to get the bolt out of the housing? I have tride grips, pliers and penetrating oil at no joy. Any advice welcome..... what are my mates options?

Thank you

·
Registered
242 Posts
So just to check my understanding that is the top bolt of the rear shock which mounts onto the chassis of the van?

If this is then I'm guessing you have all the weight off the swing arm by having a small jack under it. This will take the twist out of the bolt and might help it slide through. If this still won't shift it then i would be thinking about putting a punch or a screwdriver in from the inside and hammering the bolt though. Before you get a screwdriver in the hole I would take the threaded insert out so that you don't damage it.

Hope this helps guys

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just to check my understanding that is the top bolt of the rear shock which mounts onto the chassis of the van?

If this is then I'm guessing you have all the weight off the swing arm by having a small jack under it. This will take the twist out of the bolt and might help it slide through. If this still won't shift it then i would be thinking about putting a punch or a screwdriver in from the inside and hammering the bolt though. Before you get a screwdriver in the hole I would take the threaded insert out so that you don't damage it.

Hope this helps guys
Cheers Alex,

Yep thats the one. I have the swing arm supported. Its not the bolt thats the problem more the metal collar from inside the top of the shock thats stuck on it. Tried knocking it through yesterday but i can't seem to get any sort of force behind it due to the small space that its in. Complete Epic! Will give knocking it through another go this arvo and see if things have changed. If not then gas axe lol

Anybody else got any tricks of the trade that might help?

Thank you

Jonah

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Why dont U just cut it all out?
If U are replacing it, surely there is less hard in messing up the old part :*

A good saw (electric) with propper blades should set U back 35Eu:)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I know someone who had the same problem.

They had to cut the whole section out then re weld it in place.

Worked well in the end and no probs over a year ago.

That's a last ditch effort though.

Good luck.

You tried heating it up yet? The bracket, not the bolt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cut bolt as close to shock as you can both sides then pull it out then you about getting what left out .
New bolt sorted

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys all great ideas. Going to leave it for today and try all of the above tomorrow afternoon, weather is too nice to stress today. Will keep you posted on how i get on. Watch out for a post on welder needed lol. Bloody T4's who would have um eh :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huff! No joy! three hours of hammering, sawing, lubing, heating and the bloody thing won't budge. Garage it is then...... leave it to the real mechanics lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts