VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday night we had to have our little puppy put to sleep.

Bugsy was the most kind natured, trusting and happy go lucky Staffie you would ever meet but in the end this fearless little warrior was crippled by Osteoarthritis. We had done all we could for him but in the end he could hardly move. He was 11 years old had a beautiful life and was loved by anyone who met him. I have 16 stone, Harley riding mates who have shed a tear.

I always thought that when it came to it, I would be quite blase about it........how wrong was I? There is a huge Bugsy shaped hole in all our lives. My wife is beside herself, the kids have lost their little play mate. And I keep having to go to the toilet to sob my heart out.
No wagging tail when you come home no matter what day either of you had had, no cuddles on the sofa, no snuffling and snoring at night.
RIP Bugsy, you will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
sorry to hear mate ,
my staff is nearly 15 and slowing down now but my 5yr old boy keeps her on her toes she follows him around everywhere i am sure that what has kept her active for so long ,i know i will be exactly the same when time comes

all the best mate

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can think of very few things worse than that! Our staffie is of similar age and it is a thought that has started to creep into our minds. He sleeps in bed beside us, gets me out of bed in the mornings and is starting to go blind.

I feel for you and your family as they 100% become a fundamental part of the family! Give bugsy a good send of and hold all the fun times close!

I am open to any PM sobs you might want to release as well!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lovely looking staff. Thoughts with you mate. As a dog owner all my live I know where you're coming from. Gone but never ever forgotten........

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Keep your chin up mate.
I know what your going through. I put my boxer Storm to sleep 3 years ago and still feel guilty about it to this day.
Hardest thing i have ever done in my life.
I did go out and get another boxer, but even after 3 years the family still talk about Storm in everday conversations. He was my first dog and he was the family protector.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
man thats sad news, been there myself, Patch my 12yo jack russel had breathng problems, we went to bed on night and in the morning there she was, fair broke my heart.
Keep our chin up fella the memories might seem painful now but time will help and the the memories will be happy ones!

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
sprry to hear, my 2 staffs are 9 now and the though crosses my mind,no matter how tough you appear on the outside losing a dog is one of the hardest things you will ever have to deal with,its a heartbreaker,think of all the good times yous had though T:

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
That's a touching post, Stubee :ILU:

It's so heartening to hear stories that show Staffies in a good light - they can get such bad press and so many young dogs end up in rescues cos of wit owners :bhd

Bugsy looked a handsome geezer - you must have been proud of him to have posted this.

All the best, mate - :ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Thats made me cry mate im a 17 stone man who loves animals and my dog is 16 years old and I dread the day we loose her she's my best mate and I feel your loss im so so sorry mate I cant do anything except tell you that you gave your dog the best you could and I for one admire you and salute your feelings and your loss just remember the days you had with him and try to smile for the good time you had and be greatful for been allowed to share the life of a wonderful dog god bless you x

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's such a hard thing to go through and like all grief the pain doesn't go away you just somehow get used to living with it. My thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss mate it's just like losing a member of the family.
My Staffy is 15 and he is like a little lad to me. He attempts to speak to me every day using grunts and growls and wants to be with me wherever I go.
I know his time will come eventually and I'm dreading it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, I had to go through exactly what you're going through 2 and a half weeks ago mate and it's really not easy, my dog Charlie went everywhere with me and was my best buddy but I knew his time was up, he had hip displacia(sp?) and he got worse and worse to the point where he just couldn't get comfy and I couldn't watch him struggle any more. It leaves a huge hole in the family and it's not easy getting used to there not being a dog around the house, like you say things like coming in the house and them not being there or having to throw scraps of food that would have always ended up in the dog bowl bring it home to you.

Anyway, as much as it's a cliché, time really is a healer - you did the right thing for your mate and you gave him a good life so you should be chuffed about that. We got ourselves a puppy last week, which had definitely helped, she's not replaced Charlie in any way (she's a bloody handful that's for sure!) so maybe that would be a good idea for your family when you feel ready?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Had our staffy put to sleep christmas 09, he was 13 and id had him since 8 weeks old.
He was there for me through thick and thin, and I was proper gutted when they came to the house to put him to sleep. he looked so helpless.
We have another now, and by luck she has the same great temperament, lovely dogs staffs.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Had our staffy put to sleep christmas 09, he was 13 and id had him since 8 weeks old.
He was there for me through thick and thin, and I was proper gutted when they came to the house to put him to sleep. he looked so helpless.
We have another now, and by luck she has the same great temperament, lovely dogs staffs.
You can't beat the temperament of a Staffy but they need a real man(or strong woman) in their lives otherwise they will get idea's above their station.
That is why they have a poor reputation in the media some idiot chav owner who will sit and wind them up for something to do because they are bored.
Then wonder why it want's to bite anything that moves .

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I'm welled up and have a big lump in my throat reading this.
I feel for you, i've been where you are right now and its not pleasant.

Some good help above, think of the good times. Doubtless there will be too many to remember becuase you obviously loved Bugsy very much. He had a good innings and a happy life and was very lucky to have landed a place in your famillys home.

thoughts are with you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts