VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had mine about 6 weeks now. An EU06 plate, 71000 miles with tool box intact, full year of tax for £7100. Had a cracked tail light and an indicator fault that cost me £50 to sort out, had holes in the roof from the light bar being removed, miles of wires here there and everywhere and some brackets bolted in that did god knows what.

Mods started with getting the alarm upgraded by Upspex who also installed the headlamp loom upgrade, installed a split charge relay under the driver seat and fitted my double din Kenwood DNX5240BT. While he was doing that I fitted my new leather gear change assembly.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I spent some time in the back of the van stripping it all out and decided to keep the tool chest. Does a goood job of keeping my tools tidy. Lot of empty drawers though!

Upspex came back for part 2 of the job list and fitted electric windows and my gucci new Golf steering wheel. So nice to hold just a pity it isn't on straight! Will have to look at that sometime.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the real work is now starting and I am insulating the van out. Have put 3 layers of foil bubble wrap insulation in the cab headlining. Hopefully that will suffice there. Have used flashband on the wheel arches like everyone else seems to and also applied strips to the roof and side panels.

Bought some Celotex 25mm and 50mm and some of the blue recycled plastic bottle insulation to add to the foil bubble wrap. Made a start on the sliding door and the lower side opposite behind the driver. I will probably get windows fitted so won't insulate the uppers.
Here is the panel behind the driver. Just 50mm Celotex held in with a bit of spray glue and the blue stuff in the gaps. Won't add anything more just yet as I will probably put some electrickery in that panel.

Sliding door is a lot trickier. Odd spaces and the locking stuff to keep clear. Used 50mm Celotex and the blue stuff again being careful to keep the bits clear.

Nothing else going on here so added a layer of foil bubble as well.

I carpetted the panel as well and fitted it in the dark, so no pic yet, but I am pleased with the result. Will add that tomorrow.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been shopping on the bay and got a new sidestep and tailgate threshold on the way. Also bought some used wheels with part worn tyres that should work nicely. Despite being tempted by the look of 20" and 19" rims I opted for more practical 18". Bought these Land Rover sport rims with Goodyear Wrangler tyres 255/55 for £360 delivered. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday, just need to sort out the fitting kit from Merseyspeed and we're away.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good mate! what model is the golf steering wheel from? did you have an airbag issue fitting it?
It's the Mk 6 everyone seems to get from the bloke in Portugal through Ebay (£250). It wasn't a straight swap and Upspex had to rewire my original loom to get it sorted. No ABS light came on and the horn works so all good! If you get one don't bother with the multi function version with the buttons, nigh on impossible to get them working in a T5 from what I have seen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
looking good. 6 weeks - you move quick!!

Like the RAC van in the first shot; was it luck or did you drive around looking for one ;)

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mentioned the holes in the roof earlier. My solution was these plastic panel bits from Halfords with a splash of yellow Hammerite paint. Before and after shot below. Not too bothered by the paintjob as only the birds will see it. Used some sealant to bond them in.

Was ill Monday and Tuesday so only got to work on the van again this afternoon. Finished making and fitting panels to go over the Celotex in the rear upper quarters. I will just carpet right over these when I carpet the metalwork as there will ne need to get behind them in the future.

Made new lower rear quarter panels to replace what I broke. These and the tailgate board are now carpeted ready to go in.

Tomorrow I will make an attempt to carpet the metalwork from the back to the front. Fingers crossed I won't carpet myself into it!

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This afternoon I tackled the bit that was worrying me the most, carpeting the metalwork and those wheelarches. Wasn't as bad as I feared and I am pretty pleased with the results despite some blow over with the glue and some bits where it soaked through. That's the offside carpetted and panels back on. The gaping yellow hole is where the window will go once I find someone to do the job. Will be a 2 minute job to carpet the edging before the window is bonded in place. I spoke to a guy the other day about doing the windows but he was way too expensive, about £700 for a slider and a fixed. Genuine VW parts but they would have had to be tinted to get limo. Another place I have contacted hasn't read my emails or they are just ignoring me. Search goes on!

Tomorrow the other half!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Try Andy at AJC conversions, fitted my two side windows and tailgate window hundreds cheaper than that price. Andys a user on here, look for 'AJC conversions' as a username. loveley job. i travelled up to his place in Glossop near Manchester, left the van there and walked into town, came back for a brew mid afternoon to see the windows all fitted. Definatley go back there.T:

Gary

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This converting lark is bloody slow progress! Right been busy again. Finished carpet lining in the back and did some insulating for the roof. Used some roll mats from Decathlon to do the roof stuck on with a bit of spray glue. The mats are closed cell foam so don't absorb moisture. Used foil bubble insulation to go over the top of it.

Have covered the roof boards in black vinyl headlining I picked up at Dubfreeze for a good price. Got loads left as well so will be having a think about where else i could use it. Have also done the roof trim strips in it as well. Only the rear roof board up at the moment as I ran out of trim clips. Those things aren't cheap and I seem to get through them like nothing else.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Went out this morning to pick up some side bars then spent the afternoon changing my wheels. Took flippin ages! The wheel brace in the van was made of cheese so was less than useless. Ended up using it as an extender bar for the socket set. Found my trolley jack didn't go up high enough for the van so had to use the one in the van which waited till I was doing the last wheel to start to slip over. Cheap ! Anyway after much jumping up and down on the end of a bar to get the wheel nuts off, literally, I got my Ebay bargain wheels and tyres on. 18" RR alloys with Goodyear Wrangler F1 M&S tyres with about 6mm left on them. Wheels have no kerbing at all and all in and delivered for £360. Got the stud and bolt kit from Merseyspeed who answered my dumb question of the day happily.

Picked up some VW caps to stick over the RR ones which look pretty good. Hopefully they will stay stuck and not flip off down the M40.

Out at a photography show at the NEC tomorrow so Wednesday will be floor day and maybe sidebar day as well. Will see how it goes.

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drove the van today for the first time since I started getting stuck in. Certainly a lot quieter now I would say which makes a nice difference. The new wheels and tyres rub on full lock so will go for some smaller rubber when the time comes. Speedo is under by 4mph at an indicated 70mph although appears to be spot on at 30. Some research into a better tyre size needed!

·
Yellow van man
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Today was flooring day. Degreased and cleaned the floor as best I could last night and got half a sheet of 9mm ply. This morning I started cutting the ply into bits to stick down in the larger low areas of the floor so I could lay the ply floor on top and it won't flex too much. Stuck the sections down with a bit of No More Nails then left it for a couple of hours.

Couldn't decide on what to do for insulation as there are some that make a raised floor for Celotex, some that use the 2mm laminate flooring underlay. I opted to use the foil bubble wrap insulation since I had more than a roll left. Put a single layer down over the top.

I put the ply floor down straight on top of the vinyl flooring and cut it with some spare all round. Then I put the ply floor down in the van and positioned it using the tie down points. When that was done I screwed the floor down along the centre line into the ply pices glued to the floorpan. I then fitted the vinyl flooring. Tough stuff to cut and I made a few miscuts most noticeably along the wheel arcges. Will have to do something to mask the gaps there. The vinyl is mostly floating but is held down by the tie down cups. I staple gunned it along the edge where the side step hides it. At the top behind the seats I used the aluminium edging strip that came with the floor. Hopefully it should stay put!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts