VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Been busy with other things so spent little time on the van. Did a bit today though sorting out the roof mount for my Kogan TV.

Stripped off the insulation across the rear section of roof and fitted some ply battens I had cut down to size. These are supported by the roof cross members. Popped a screw in one end just to keep them from moving.

This bit of ply is screwed to the batens and is the section the TV mount will be fixed to.

Insulation back in place.

TV mount screwed on. That was the first fix though to give me my markers. It all came back off again then for the ply to be drilled and threaded caps to go in the back of the ply so that when I put the proper screws in they screw into the caps. That way any movement won't pull the screws out of the ply.

Tomorrow the TV gets mounted on and I watch Jeremy Kyle on the drive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bought a cheap reversing camera of the bay last year sometime and finally got round to fitting it. Hardest part was feeding the video cable through into the tailgate and the power and earth feed wires down the rear quarter to the rear light cluster. Luckily I left wires in place going into the tailgate from the AA fit. Found a handy earth and a loose live feed linked to the reversing light, crimped some connections and job done! Soemtimes there are advantages to all the wiring you find in ex AA vans.

Here is the cam mounted to the nearside number plate light.

And the image on the head unit. At night there is enough light from the reversing lights to allow you to see. The distance markers are not accurate at all. 3 metres is really less than 2 but that isn't important as seeing is more important. The view is as if you were using a rear view mirror.

Also had Upspex round to put a loom in for fog lights for when I get my caravelle bumper painted and on. He will be back again to fit some 240v kit.
Hi
I suppose that the distance markers are dependant on the angle of the camera!

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So the TV install is finished and I have already been sat out there watching a DVD. Reception round my way is dire so couldn't get anything tuned in. A couple of shopts showing the TV down and folded up. The tension is quite good in the raised position but I will see how good when I go out for a drive tonight. You can see where I have installed a 12v socket in the headlining for the power supply.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I still have more jobs to do in there like the gas, plumbing and some 12v bits but this is basically all the main elements done. My old mum did the upholstery for me. I built the bench and fridge enclosure and the kitchen pod is from T5Life.

View from the side door. You can see the TV is on!

Fridge enclosure. The top comes off and is covered in some union jack style pvc. I might cover the fridge door with some carbon pvc.

My nice kitchen pod from Toby at T5Life.

View from the back end.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I have discovered that the TV does drop a bit when driving around and it tends to swivel a bit when cornering. I may have to install a strap to keep it in place but if I leave it down it seems to stay put. Will mull that one over.

I wired the 12v bits up in the cooker pod this afternoon. LED light strip recessed along the top edge illuminates the cupboard quite well. Tap micro switch and pump wired up as well. All working as it should and controlled by a switch on the left side of the pod.

The gas might be more troublesome as because of the wheel arch I haven't got space for a gas locker. The solution might be to have it positioned higher up or just go with a dropout. Something else to mull over.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Plumbing finished. Two 10 litre water containers fit nicely behind the right hand door and I have used a furniture block with a small bit of ply as a wedge to keep them in place. I thought about having the pipes running neatly down the back but decided that this way will keep any wet drips at the front where I can wipe up easily and will be quicker taking the bottles out for filling or emptying.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Picked my van up from Dirty Weekenders in Worcester today. Had it in to get a Webasto fitted, plumb and test my gas install and fit a bracket for my table leg. The bill came in less than I expected and as always Johnny is a top bloke to just have a chat with. Pics will follow tomorrow when I clean and reinstall my fridge and finish fitting the table.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
A few pictures then. Starting with the table this is it mounted off the B pillar. The table top was custom made and is a trial version whilst he gets the process right

The table will be in the ideal spot to sit in the double seat when it is turned round.

Webasto heater control is just at the head of the bed next to the fridge so I can control it from under the duvet. It takes its power supply from the leisure battery.

The heating outlet comes up through the floor near the midpoint and rotates for better directional control.

Gas plumbed in by the gas man who decided my truma regulator, copper pipe and pigtail were all unnecessary. Drop out vents below the gas will deal with any leaks that may occur.

New mood lighting added along the edge of the head lining. Colour changing LEDs from Ikea. They are on the same light switch as the white LEDs on the opposite side but both sets can also be turned off independently. LED lighting is also on the underside of the front edge of the kitchen unit. Gas on in this image.

That's everything done now so the next stage is changing vehicle type to camper van.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Went to the local DVLA office today for a tax disc and to query the tax class. If you are driving an EU06 like me then get your tax class checked as it fits the TC36 bracket for Euro04 emission vans. My tax for the year £140 instead of £220! Now to try and get a retrospective refund.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts