VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I bought a solar panel kit to top up the battery when I am away and thought it would be a good idea to fit a voltmeter in permanently to allow me to quickly check the battery charge. I remembered seeing tidy little LCD ones being fitted by others so found one on ebay from China and ordered. It arrived today so I hooked up the solar panels to the battery and set about fitting the voltmeter. Looks quite tidy and seems to work well. Not sure how accurate it is but should be good enough for what I need.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well Busfest gave me the chance to try out the solar panel kit and have to say I am pleased with the results. The 100w panel seemed to keep up with my power demands and would top off my leisure battery through the day even in the cloudy conditions we had over the weekend. A weekend of firsts for me actually as it was the first outing for my new to me awning and the first time I had taken the dog with me. The photo was taken in late afternoon so the sun is low and in the West and I hadn't given too much consideration to where I parked up. I made sure that side of the van was facing South but I didn't consider the shadows or that in the morning the awning would be in the way of the morning sun. A lesson learnt.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Fitted some new door speakers and tweeters. Used the recommended Pioneer TS-H1703 and am very happy with the improved sound quality. I am getting a switch installed next week that will allow me to power the stereo unit from the leisure battery when I am parked up for the weekend in order to protect the main battery. I have a remote for the head unit so will be able to control it from my bed as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's some good DIY work. I'm just about to purchase my first T5 and was looking for some ideas for kitting it out, your handy work has given me plenty to think about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi yellow duke, I have the same speakers and am wiring them in this week, I was wondering where did you put the tweeters? Or is that a silly question? I haven't removed the dash speaker covers to see what lurks there yet. I was thinking of putting them in the hole left by the window winders?

Thank you

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Not done anything with the van for ages other than maintaining what I have. Not done much in the past year anyway due to working away. Anyhow after finding the problem with my headlights and getting them working again I did the additional door seal mod on my van today which should reduce road noise a bit more for a more pleasant ride.

I also installed a Nextbase 402G dashcam. I have hardwired it in using the Nextbase kit with a piggy back fuse holder in the fusebox. Makes the installation that little bit easier.

Unfortunately having done all this my stereo has stopped working so tomorrow I start playing with that!

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Got my stereo working again. Seems to have been a loose connection which was sorted by just pulling it out and reseating it. Decided to bite the bullet and fit the dash rings that have been sitting for a month or so. What a git of a job! Had to take off under dash trim the driver door to the fuse box to get at the screws for the binnacle. Eventually got that out and released it from the loom which has two plugs that go into the back. Opening the binnacle isn't as obvious as it first appears with the six clips you can see. You also need to remove the two metal clips where the screws hold the binnacle in place and also two small torx screws which are recessed one by each loom socket. After that it comes apart easily.

Fitting the rings is fairly easy just follow the you tube video. It's simply a matter of folding the back of the rings over the plastic. The rectangular piece won't do that so I wedged it in place and then used araldite from the back. Everything goes back easier than it came out. As others have done I decided not to screw the binnacle back in place as I may decide to take it out again to polish the front. It does look pretty good when finished.

I also fitted a ring around my new headlight switch which I needed to bend to fit the curve of the trim.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I have been playing a bit more with the cab interior and decided to try my hand at painting. Not a perfect result, probably more down to my own impatience really, but not too shabby either. I think I shall go this route for more trim and the door cards at some point.

I also fitted a passenger grab rail on the A pillar to make it a little easier climbing in. Fitting wasn't that difficult although I found that the markings inside the pillar trim were too far over towards the middle of the van than the fitting needed to be so I had to widen the hole a bit. Doing it again I would just make a hole to see through to start and get an idea of best positioning.

Stuck 3M carbon self adhesive sheeting over my centre console as well. Looks okay but it will be interesting to see if it starts to peel off in the colder weather. Also fitted my chrome heater rings. Adds a nice bit of bling to the cab and makes it less commercial vehicle looking.

Hopefully before Christmas I will have some leather seats as well and at a very nice price too. Fingers crossed!

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
After getting a great Christmas deal on a £100 remap from Blackcode I decided to push the boat out and splash out on leather seats in the cab. Found a good deal on EBay with a chap based in Long Eaton for reupholstered seats in black leather with a silver grey Bentley stitch. Paid £550 for captain driver seat with arm rests and the double passenger seat. They look great and the new leather smell is lush! Really makes a big difference in the feel of the cab. Much smarter and a lot less like the AA van it once was. Need to do some cleaning now though!

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Been pretty idle when it comes to the van of late but I couldn't resist a couple of other mods. Very pleased with this dial mod.

Looks great with lights on or off.

Also fitted one of Kiravans' door stores in the slider. Very clever use of the space although it is a bugger to try and line the pockets and you have to be very wary of adding any thickness to it. The carpet over the top isn't wrapped over the edges at all because of that and is just trimmed off at the edge. Still doesn't look too bad overall.

·
Yellow van man
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)

Been a long time since I did anything with the van and posted here. Decided it was time for a revamp so the old sidebars have gone and been replaced by OEM style ones. Had a rear window fitted which makes quite a difference when sitting in the back. Next up is taking off the old headlining in the back and replacing it with some nice suede effect. Also have new LED down lights to fit to replace my IKEA strips. Just fitted a light in the glove box and in the footwell from Travellin-Lite. Looking at getting the W8 cab light and seeing if I can connect the footwell lights into the sidelights too. Vanshades pods are on order for the rear and side windows. Looking forward to getting hold of them.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts