VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little shock this morning as I drove off the drive...a white transit with two guys in it and four cameras on the roof slowly going up my road, caught sight of 'ANPR' written quite small on it.
I swear it drove slower past my house, and the two guys were deffo looking on the drive and at me...

I have my van on a 'Sorn' (stautory off road notice) and its currently at a barn..

Some investigating says these are vans run by NCP who clamp untaxed vehicles. I'm just wondering if they cross refernce known 'Sorns'?

No issue with ridding the world of untaxed vehicles, but I do wonder what databases they use, ie obviously they link to DVLA, but do they also know address and vehicles on sorn attatched to those addresses.....?

Dunno why this worries me, nothing to hide! But feel a trifle uneasy that they may have been specifically checking up on me!:cool:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
seen a programme on tv about this type of thing recently and these vans were being used by baillifs for unpaid parking fines which in some parts of london ran in to 000's,they just drove up and down streets all day and the camera read every no plate and any outstanding fines sounded the alarm,

·
Registered
30 Posts
i live about 500 yds away from the main DVLA offices in swansea & every day i see these vans with a camera on every corner of the roof driving in & out of the dvla.they patrol the streets & when they come accross an untaxed vehicle they (always 2 guys in each van) jump out & put a dvla wheelclamp on that vehicle then later that same day the dvla lorry arrives & picks up the vehicle with its crane & that is usually the last you see of that vehicle...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Seems like a good use of the available technology if you ask me - as the ANPR can also detect whether the vehicle has a current MOT and insurance - something that you wouldn't be able to check otherwise without a lot more time and effort.

So, with any luck, they will catch more and more cars that aren't legally entitled to be on the road (which is a HUGE %, compared with a few years ago)

:)

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have no issue with them checking, BUT are they specifically seeking out SORN applicants?

Are they actually slowing down past people who have declared a vehicle Sorn, to see if it is off the road.

I suppose the same argument applies, that they are 'just checking' and that they will only clamp people who break the rules, but I dont like the idea that I have declared my vehicle sorn and they are checking up....

Cant quite get my head round it.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
possible they were just in your area and your getting paranoide lol would have thought the only data base they have access to (if they are an out side contrator and not goverment body) are a list of previusly taxed but no longer taxed (wether sorn or just not re taxed) vehiculars?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts