VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... i'm still looking into ownership...sadly double glazing too the last pot of cash! so start the grind again it seems.

Anyway, the caravelle still seems the best choice.

wondered if there are any cyclists on here that use one? just want to see how people load them up?

i'm wanting to keep a large dog cage, room for 4 adults and 4 bikes inside. not at once though, keeping the cage in, i'd need room for 2/3 people and 2/3 bikes. take the cage out then 4 and 4.

but be interested in seeing some cyclist specific vans

·
Registered
320 Posts
not a keen cyclist myself, but got a velle, dogs and an idea.
if you have velles three seater bench at rear, why need for a cage? my dogs are pretty caged there and i can adjust what space they have by moving the bench. they wont jump over the backrest and are thought to relax there. bench is obviously for people. and you can get bike holder that fits in velles internal rails, so you can remove front wheel and fit bikes across (door to door) inside fixed to the "axle" holder. if you insist on cage, then keep middle row 2 captains, +passenger, same story with bikes and removing bench make space for your cage. i mean, velles are great, out with bench, two captains behind each other, bikes next to them, and rear still free for a cage.
cant find the thread about cycle holder but it was something like this:

and it was made to be used for rails, was here on the forum. pretty sure it was orange too :)
if noone can help with them, the one from ebay link can be quite simply adjusted, just need a bottom plate (mimic the ones on seats, two holes, cutt threads into them) , and couple of bolts through holder to the bottom plate to sandwich the rail in between. once made, cant see it being more than 30 seconds to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh that's awesome - even more interested in a velle now! didn't realise you could get a fogk holder to fit the rails that's pretty cool.

The cage is more for his safety really, ours is crash tested etc, so if the rear end gets walloped, he's got some protection, sides have shock absorbers etc.

I wondered if the bikes would fit across the width so i'm glad they do, bench forward, cage behind the bench and bikes across would be great.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I wondered if the bikes would fit across the width so i'm glad they do, bench forward, cage behind the bench and bikes across would be great.
Depends what sort of bike, there's no way mine would fit in accross the width it's about 2m long...
So it depends on your bike they are not all the same length
What sort of bike are we talking about?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I fitted a set of Caravelle rails (and full-width Caravelle seat-bed) to the back of my van so I have more width than a standard Caravelle due to lack of side panel plastics.
I have a custom-made bike rack that fixes into the two outer Caravelle seat rails, with full-width slotted channel to which I can fit 4 bikes to it using fork-mount adapters.
I have a couple of different axle adapters depending which bikes I'm wanting to carry / 15mm bolt-thru / 15mm boost / 9mm QR etc.
Works perfectly and I can still carry 3 passengers in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts