VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering ordering a Kenwood DNX521DAB and would appreciate any opinions about sound quality/usability/satnav mapping etc. I'd also like to know exactly what's displayed in the DIS (where fitted) as the Kenwood website doesn't go into much detail. Has anyone had success using the original T5.1 door/dash speakers in combination with this headunit and a sub?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
We must have sold/ fitted 50 of these things by now
Only really heard positive things about them
I can get some pictures if the truck is here this week

They are said to be canbus so in theory display
things like heated seats, parking sensors if fitted
and factory, climate control if caravelle
From memory when we used our SVT cameras
it displayed a weird grid with distance but have to
check I didnt dream it

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have one fitted in my van and must say its greatT: drove down to Lyon last weekend and the sat nav was excellent, the bluetooth works really well with my iPhone 4s.
The sound quality from the dab is fantastic. I have front and rear parking sensors and they are displayed on the screen but nothing for my heated seats:(
I'm just using the original VW speakers in the dash and doors and sounds good enough to me T: Also have the rear view camera and it does show grids but It's not much use to me as I have it angled right down to look on top of the tow bar to aid hitching the trailer up... And also it was supplied and fitted by Swiss...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies guys. Pictures would be great Swiss, especially if the dash computer is fitted as I want to know what info appears there. I've got factory Bluetooth at the moment and I can see who's calling, signal strength etc on the computer, which is great. Do you have the computer fitted in your van Sonic?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys. Pictures would be great Swiss, especially if the dash computer is fitted as I want to know what info appears there. I've got factory Bluetooth at the moment and I can see who's calling, signal strength etc on the computer, which is great. Do you have the computer fitted in your van Sonic?
Amarok not in till Monday so will take some pictures then of the 521DAB

Speaking to guys who drive it
The volume controls etc still work as there is a loom
Not sure on bluetooth as hasnt been set up yet I:
Heating controls display digital
Heated seats display
Parking sensors
Camera works (there is a button)
Bluetooth is off Kenwood as microphone better

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I've got one of these arriving tomorrow and I need to know what's in the box and what I need to order today to make it work in my T5.1. I'm assuming I need an active aerial adaptor (fakra?) and a DAB aerial. Where I get confused is interfacing with the factory harness/quadlock connector - as this unit is intended for VAG vehicles I'm hoping that whatever loom Kenwood supply will work with canbus etc straight out of the box?

Any advice on the above much appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Right, I've got one of these arriving tomorrow and I need to know what's in the box and what I need to order today to make it work in my T5.1. I'm assuming I need an active aerial adaptor (fakra?) and a DAB aerial. Where I get confused is interfacing with the factory harness/quadlock connector - as this unit is intended for VAG vehicles I'm hoping that whatever loom Kenwood supply will work with canbus etc straight out of the box?

Any advice on the above much appreciated, cheers.
Fakra adapter I believe and the loom supplied should just fit inline. Try it with the standard aerial first then if no joy get a dab one too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for that, regarding the fakra fm aerial connectors, I believe my van has two fm aerials, should I be looking for an active adaptor that will accept both factory aerials and combine them into one standard aerial for the Kenwood?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Cheers for that, regarding the fakra fm aerial connectors, I believe my van has two fm aerials, should I be looking for an active adaptor that will accept both factory aerials and combine them into one standard aerial for the Kenwood?
I think so yes. Sorry not 100% there bud.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Only just seen this , yes I have the computer (DIS) and MF steering wheel T:

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Hello, I too am interested in purchasing this head unit , anyone know where the camera that is compatible with if can be purchased from , google searches are coming up blank .

Most cameras are compatible, we can sell you the unit and a range of cameras....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one of these in t5.1 caravelle and have had it about 4 months. I'm just having it removed and swopped out for an OEM 510 or 315

In case it's not clear

MFD
Shows the current Audio selection and Track/Info for example DAB Radio 1 or SD Track Name
Thats all it does, nothing else no Nav and no Phone

MFSW
Controls Channel up/down for Radio & Track up/down for music
Volume
Thats all, no phone controls like answer or cancel, No input change

The Nav is really good but make sure you activate the TMC which is free but requires you to register & Call Kenwood/Navigon for a code
SD Card/USB control is also brilliant as it indexes all the music for you based on Mp3 tags :)
iPod control is also good and expected
I've always fine DAB to be excellent ( not only in this car but also my Merc & A8 ) so I guess I don't travel the places it doesn't work
FM is very poor which Kenwood tell me is known issue and are adding for free an FM booster via the dealer ( being fitted on Tuesday)
Bluetooth/The phone is also excellent, sound quality if very clear and people can hear me very well even at speed so the Mic must be good
The audio quality is good but I don't know if this is just the speakers I have being the caravelle but I have no complaints

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have as I've spent a lot of time with this unit in my van

Si

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had mine fitted to the van when I bought it from the stealer.
Sat Nav is excellent and far superior to the £1900 version I had in my Mercedes CLK!
Bluetooth 'phone is also top notch - it downloads your whole 'phone book and the user interface is intuitive and clear.
Sound (even through the basic cab speakers) is also excellent - especially when using DAB.
Only complaint is.... sometimes it's a little slow to boot up.
Here's a pic of the view I get when I select reverse - the grid is spot-on - and I can park the van within an inch of perfect!
The camera, by the way, was a £15 purchase off Evilbay and works perfectly with the unit.
T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was on the phone today hands free. I was asked was I in a toilet. So I got my wife to ring me, her in my van and me in the house.... She too sounded like she was on the toilet. The microphone was fitted by the dealer up at the centre lights. It sounds good from inside. Any ideas how to improve the sound out.
How do I get an FM upgrade?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.