VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, happy new year....I've just picked up my freebird furniture kit and was wondering if anyone in Bristol had self installed one that I could look at?? or maybe a oicture record of how they put it in would help

cheers Keith

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
try putting freebird in search there is information on here.
you must have been given drawings? Fairly straight forward just double check as you go.
Warm the plastic edging up it will be a lot easier to fit. You might have to cut down front
of wardrobe to fit as well. Just completing mine but some distance from you.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My brother and I did one earlier this year - when you collect your bits it does look a bit daunting but it does work out OK. they number the parts a bit and their instructions are crude but work. Best to do a lot of the build outside without tightening and then put the shells into the van. The plastic trim is a bore though...

I think I've still got some pictures if you need them.

Our biggest problem was we used the ply lining already in the van, covered it nicely with carpet but it was too thick at around 6mm...the Freebird units are cut so accurately we couldn't butt them up against the thicker ply so had to throw it away and re-do :( .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys ....pics would be cool... is it really necessary to cut the panel out where the fridge goes?

keith

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Keith,

No it's not all it will mean is the fridge will stick out by a couple of inches (at most), and if your happy with that "look" then go with it. It's just fussy OCD types like myself (and others...you know who you are !) that start recessing it back.

Although recessing it back does make it look a sleeker install, there is one slight draw back in that it you can only open the door 90 degrees and not any further (I think it could go back a full 180, but not sure) as it will bind against the unit nearest the hinges. If you force it your in effect trying to lever the fridge out of its location...not a good idea.

To be honest it's not that a big deal if you aren't heavy handed...or have kids I should imagine LOL:

To recess it you will need to cut away a bit of the inner metal panel nearest the floor which the original hardboard wall panel was clipped to. I used a reciprocating saw type thing with a metal blade on it, which made short work of it, but you do have to have a certain amount of self confidence as their is no going back.

As you will see from the pictures I sent you of my build I made up a insulated boxed in recess panel arrangement to insure no warm air coming from the rear of the fridge could come into contact with any possible cold metal and condensate and thus pool and cause any possible rust issues in the future in the vans panel. A bit belt and braces but then I have a healthy dollop of OCD in my DNA...I:

All the best with your build.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I didnt recess my fridge in because it gives better access to inside if door can go right back.
I also didnt want to cut section out of strengthning channel behind as it part of vans integrity.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Didn't recess my fridge coz I didn't think of doing it - the door does open 180 so I guess that's an advantage by default. We don't mind it sticking out a bit.

One solution I believe is to put the fridge in the second kitchen unit and then you don't hit the offending piece of metal work - but please note I've only heard this and not seen it so I can't verify it and you should check with Freebird that I've got it right. Doing this means you can't open the fridge with a RnR bed open if you're in a SWB. Not a big deal in my book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts