VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just had the back of my t5 kitted out windows insulated carpeted the lot so no chucking three bike nilly looking for ideas on a three bike rack for the inside of my van.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
that wont fit because of the arch though will it?

i need something too

was going to make a bracket that i can put a hub on and qr then bolt to floor then just take front wheel off and clamp in hub

·
Registered
530 Posts
that wont fit because of the arch though will it?

i need something too

was going to make a bracket that i can put a hub on and qr then bolt to floor then just take front wheel off and clamp in hub
I have a temporary lash up a bit like this, I can get 6 bikes cross ways behind the rear seats - although do have to rotate bars, probably wouldn't fot 3. I will use the sasme system on top of my rear arch height storage box, one I have made my rear arch height storage box! QR font and slot for rear wheel seems the way to go. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I pondered this issue for some time, looking for the cheapest and most secure way to transport my toys, kept going until I found this bit of kit which I can truthfully and genuinely recommend. It is available in two lengths and with a single or a double track.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39584

I have the double track version attached above the arch in the middle of the rear panel with two fork Traps ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39590

You have to take the front wheels off which are then held by two wheel holders, again from Saris. The traps hold the bikes really firmly in position with no rattle or movement at all. All the extra bits can be removed as necessary when your not transporting the bikes or when you need to put up a bed etc.

Use it continuously to carry two road bikes with ease - could probably get another one on there if I bought another trap / wheel holder. Don't like the idea of carrying the bikes on the back - need them closer and safer especially when parked up.

Will post some pictures in the morning. Hope this helps!

PS Your surnames Dimmick, is you first name Miles by any chance?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi mate thanks for that just what I was looking for perfect
And no mate my first name is dean but dimmick i see why your asking there's not many dimmicks about.
Thanks. Again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate just had a closer look at that and it is for a bike with skewers I have downhill bike and Ive got through axle do you know if they do these suitable for that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dimmick, I put a cheap tent grounsheet protector down on the floor to keep the worst of the mud off. I have threaded a 4ft ratchett sling through the rear door pillar through the top two holes and can easily lash 2 bikes upright.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll try to take some pics of mine tomorrow, cost around £5 as a prototype i.e. rough round the edges. Its a removable flat (wooden) bar fitted across the inside of the van, slotting in to two pieces of wood (entrance at the rear) with a metal pin lockout (so the 'bar' doesn't come mout under acceleration).
The bar has cutouts for either seatposts or stems, when in situ the bike, if the stem is in the 'bar', has the rear wheel off of the floor of the van. This shortens the wheelbase. Mines an LWB so the front wheel sits behind the rear seats. I usually strap the front wheel, slightly pulling it towards the front of the van, keeping the bike stable.

I use this for road and MTBs, even mixing them. My folder is always fitted into the rear, like Thunderbird two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts