VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously...

Parents bought an new house and it needs a few new windows.

They want wood but double glazed either casement windows or better still proper traditional sash windows.

All dependant on cost and of course they are going to have to be custom sized.

Asked three people locally here in Cambridge for quotes and not one bothered to get back :bhd.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok just had an email over from me dad.

They are currently undecided between sash and casement. They would prefer Sash windows but we are unsure if the proportions would be right.

There are currently casement windows fitted to the house so if we replaced with sash as preferred then we would need everything e.g frames, cords, windows etc.

This is an extract from the email for casements

2 x double opening small-pane casement windows, double glazed with duplex narrow glazing bars. Size of opening: Height 5' width 4'

1 x double opening small-pane casement window, double glazed with duplex narrow glazing bars . Size of opening: Height 3' width 4'
Softwood, white painted finish.

For sash it would be just two sash and one casement

2 x small-pane sash windows, double glazed with duplex narrow glazing bars. Size of opening: Height 5' width 4'

1 x double opening small-pane casement window, double glazed with duplex narrow glazing bars . Size of opening: Height 3' width 4'
Softwood, white painted finish.

Basically, he wants the windows to look as old as the house but with the benefits of double glazing.

Cheers

Tom

10,824 Posts
Sliding sash windows don't tend to work on cords any more they use a spiral type jobby, just out of interest what broschure did he get the info out of? john carr? because they're galsing bars are false and you can't quite get as small as those...Also if you want a traditional look you can keep the same style as a sliding sash but opening as a traditional window, almost looks the same but a hell of a lot cheaper!!

Click on www.njtdevelopments.co.uk take a look at some of their work if you're interested let us know.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they want sash more for the way then open than anything. My dads mainly had victorian and georgian houses so used to having proper original sash windows.

He hates plastic and anything modern so its gotta be as close the original as possible. Its my mums input asking for double glazing lol otherwise I think he'd have agricultural glass to get that distorted inperfection you get on really old windows.

Will get him to take a look,

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sliding sash windows don't tend to work on cords any more they use a spiral type jobby, just out of interest what broschure did he get the info out of? john carr? because they're galsing bars are false and you can't quite get as small as those...Also if you want a traditional look you can keep the same style as a sliding sash but opening as a traditional window, almost looks the same but a hell of a lot cheaper!!

Click on www.njtdevelopments.co.uk take a look at some of their work if you're interested let us know.
don't think he has a brochure to be honest ,all out of his head lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We`d love to give you a quote but we`re a bit far away.

:(

Hope you can find someone nearer.

T:
Think we are looking for supply only as getting a builder to fit

so up to you,

Cheers

10,824 Posts
you can get hand made double glazed units so still looks like the old fashioned type, unfortunately you have to have double glazed if you are replacing the windows even on a lot of grade 11 listed that we have done doulble galzed still has to be fitted...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok my parents are now in a position to get some more formal quotes with view to giving someone the go ahead so if you are serious about making a pair of sash windows please drop me an email on [email protected]

Many thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts