VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 of these teardrop shaped fobs which have a receptacle on the dash.

I contacted Sigma (who make the alarm that's installed and works) but they don't know what I mean.

So anyone got an idea? It's an ex Thames Water if that helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
Pretty sure it's an immobiliser, but saying that I have a seperate stick like thing (that's the technical term!) that if the battery runs out on the alarm fob you use the stick to turn it off by pushing it onto the recepetor just below the dash.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I'd take if off and see what doesn't work, trial & error style. If you take it off the keyring and the van don't start, then it's an immobiliser.

Al.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never had an immobiliser before! I thought they only came built in to keys. I'll try tomorrow and see if it starts without the fob.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Never had an immobiliser before! I thought they only came built in to keys. I'll try tomorrow and see if it starts without the fob.
Alarm/Immobilisers are known as Cat 1 where as just alarms are known as Cat 2, if it does start without the fob then try not turning the alarm off opening the door then connect the fob to the recepticle T:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
That's a Sterling/Toad Touch CAT 2 immobiliser, I have fitted 100's of them.
Good unit :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

So looking on the web I should have to connect it each time to start the van (which I don't) so I guess it's not working. Will have to follow the wires back to find the control box and see if I can get it going.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks,

So looking on the web I should have to connect it each time to start the van (which I don't) so I guess it's not working. Will have to follow the wires back to find the control box and see if I can get it going.
Does the LED light up on it at all, or when you press the key against it?.
If it does that should make it easier to put back in to service as all the wires are black on these. When they are new there are colour tags on the cables, they may still be there if not been snipped off, but doubt it.

Unit will be a silver box.

The 4 immobiliser wires should be easy to suss out if you have a multimeter, but I would make sure the unit works properly before you re-commsion it as it might have been disabled for a reason. Though some people can't be bothered touching the key to start each time so might have had it disabled for that reason.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bit of tracing wires and testing things out it turns out not to be an immobiliser after all but part of the alarm. You can deactivate the alarm buy touching the teardrop to the connector. The connector on the dash is connected to box labeled "Sigma Touch Key Override SKGTK1" which is in turn connected to the keypad input of the alarm box.

Glad I've got it all sussed and working!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts