VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tinting starts tomoorw, barn doors and side slidddding window.
any last minute advice to make it look nice?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Clean, clean, clean, clean some more and when you think it's clean enough, clean them some more.

Keep all sides of glass and tint nice and wet and use a cloth over your squeegey to prevent scratches.

Oh, did I mention cleaning 'em T:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
and when you think its clean enough and you tint...spot the bit of dust afterwards..I:

Dont use cheapo ebay tint film...its rubbish..

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
yea best advice i can offer is take it to the professionals for tinting! Its a pain in the a:*

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
after you have thouroughly cleaned it, use a paint scraper (new blade) to remove any crud, then it spray it with a fine mist of water then use a window cleaners squeegee to 'clean' it, dont touch it again, dont use any form of paper towel, this will leave bits.
try not to move around too much either creating dust during the process.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Another vote for taking it to the professionals.

Vansport in Penzance did mine (bit far for you to travel though) £30 all in per window. No hassle, great job; no dust or splits. I can guarantee 100% that if I'd done it myself it wouldn't have been half the job that they did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
AliB

Dont know if this is any good to you but there is a guy in chesshire, Nik @ carstuff, sorry not got his number to hand, give him acall if its not too far for you.

Bob
prestige auto tints

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mann. i thought it was going to be rocket science after those comments.
me and my mate did my side windows and bar doors in a few hours. really not that difficult.

£15 insteead of £140 definatly worth it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Out of interest, where did you get your film from and do you know the make/manufacturer.

Some of the dyed polyester single ply material going about wont last 6 months without fading even in our climate and the adhesive breaks down. Remember when you go to a bonafied pro its not only thier ability in doing the job its the product being used, dont assume all window films are the same.;)

Bob

·
Registered
695 Posts
cut some precise templates out of card (thin) and cut the film before hand, I did it this way and it worked a treat:ILU: wet wet wet wet wet always with the wet constantlyT:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did some years ago on a bay i had and did a good job,BUT i do remember thinking damn i wish i cleaned them more , but also spray the window with water with a very fine mist and then apply the film to that, then work from the centre out with a soft lint free cloth to get any bubbles out(Old T shirt),(Dont use a yellow duster).Good luck.T:
ps I like the idea of using templates to cut the film first, cos its very thin and tears easily its hard to cut round the edges to get it precise onto the window,

·
Registered
232 Posts
was thinking of doing my own too but not knowing one film from another...didnt want to shell out,put man hours in only for it to peel 6 months down the line.Going the profesional route now as 2 side windows and the 2 barn doors at the back....£100 quid!!! Not worth thinking about reallyT:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
hello mate, my first post on here. Where are you getting yours done for £100? Only picked my van up last night so starting the mods soon. Windows going in soon I hope.

Thanks,

Robbie

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
clean the window in and out then spray the outside of the window apply to the window with the protective film facing upwards then cut to size followed by getting all air bubbles out with a heat gun/ hair dryer then spray inside of window remove protective film and spray the tint then apply and use a sqeegie job done T:

·
Registered
813 Posts
when the guy done mine he had a massive roll on the floor and cut it as he went
and he then placed on exterior to cut to size and then heated it up with heat gun to curve it

think its the quality of film that makes it

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
mann. i thought it was going to be rocket science after those comments.
me and my mate did my side windows and bar doors in a few hours. really not that difficult.

£15 insteead of £140 definatly worth it.
Any pics geezer?

Want to do mine - liking the price difference :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tinting windows.....what a pain in the :*. Tried to do my last van myself, side windows no problem but rear window aaahhhhhh still stressing me out and I don't even have the van anymore:bhd:bhd

I have bought a roll to do my new van but nah trying to stay off the stress express.

Good luck 89-Surf T:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts