VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really considering buying a boat for next summer but dont really no what you need ie insurances,licences can any body help me with this and anyone got any pics T:T:T::cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts
im really considering buying a boat for next summer but dont really no what you need ie insurances,licences can any body help me with this and anyone got any pics T:T:T::cool:
Scarily enough you don't need anything to buy a boat and take it out on the sea! You would be daft to do so though!

Firsty I'd say insurance is a must in case you hit someone else or your boat sinks. Secondly I would strongly recommend taking a RYA Dayskipper course. This covers navigation, sea safety, collision avoidance, rules of the road and basic boat tips.
Thirdly depending on what boat experience you have a Powerboat handling course would be advantageous.

The Dayskipper course can be taken in the evenings at your local Adult Education centre and is around £200. The Powerboat handling courses are run in many places but there are several in Poole Harbour who run them. Again I think the course is around £200ish.

I would highly recommend getting a boat as being out on the water is great fun but please get some tuition first- for the safety of yourself and others!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Go to "World of sea fishing" forum. There are quite a few knowledgeable chaps on there who know all there is to know about boats and boating rules and regs. Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi mate i've got a small Avon rib that we use for fishing/ski-ing etc we use the boat in North Wales and due to a number of jetski accidents Gwynned Council require you to have Public Liability insurance and the boat has to be registered with the Council for a small fee each year when they can check your insurance is valid. Not all councils operate like this though as i'm fairly certain my mate launches his bayliner down in Poole and they don't insist on it there but i might be wrong?

Boat insurance similar to cars has different levels of cover but the usual is for fire/theft and the important public liability. My boats worth less than 3k insured for water sports use/theft etc and its less than £200 a year. Costs £25.00 every time you go for a blast in juice and launch fees but it doesn't get any cheaper than that!

Insurance companies are increasingly asking that you either have a certain number of years experiance in boat handling (difficult to prove or disprove) or you've done a recognised power boat handling course such as R.Y.A which isn't that lengthy or expensive and probably a good idea on the whole? 2-5k should get you a pretty decent speedboat or rib good enough for arseinabout with a donut on the back or beer swillin & just lazin out in the sun

Hope this helps regards AL

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys thats great just got to find a decent boat now probably wait for a month or two ive been told i should get a bargain then looking for a phantom or flecture or simular if any one heres of one T:T:T:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Just sold my fletcher this weekend for £2k, Check out pics on my shell island thread, May give you some idear of what they are worth

Only bad thing with boats are rough seas, every time this year the sea was rough when i got down there (well most of the time) Now going to kite surfing instead
Cheers AndyT:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Insurance - needed to cover loss/theft etc,
Training - available, best to do the RYA Powerboat Level 2 course which covers handing the boat, Man Over Board, launching and recovery, coming alongside a pontoon, picking up a bouy etc etc.
No point doing the Level 1, its not worth anything. If you do level 2, you can convert it to ICC (International Certificate) recognised by other countries too.
The RYA have introduced a Short navigation course, similar to the Day Skipper but a two day course (the Day skipper is equivilant to 5 days) but is a lot less intensive.
I am a Powerboat instructor so please ask if you want to know about other training coures.

As for other things, please please wear a lifejacket when out, I have seen far too many videos lately where people have been thrown out of their boats and nearly been killed by their boats.

Whatever you get, enjoy it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
boats...nah just fast foof, fast vans and fast women LOL:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Deffo join the RYA & take one of their courses, it's well worth it for all sorts of reasons, not least your own safety and lower insurance.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Deffo join the RYA & take one of their courses, it's well worth it for all sorts of reasons, not least your own safety and lower insurance.
For info you dont have to join the RYA as a member to do the RYA courses.

I'd recommend a course only so you dont look a complete numpty when launching the boat for the first time. Trust me, I have seen them and there are loads out there.Rasp:

·
Registered
130 Posts
For info you dont have to join the RYA as a member to do the RYA courses.

I'd recommend a course only so you dont look a complete numpty when launching the boat for the first time. Trust me, I have seen them and there are loads out there.Rasp:
Agree but if you join RYA you get a discount on training & other resources they handle; weigh up the pros & cons T:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agree but if you join RYA you get a discount on training & other resources they handle; weigh up the pros & cons T:
cool ive looked into all seems good to me but not sure if i should buy a boat before or after joining rya seen a boat so im goin to have a look on week end 21ft phantom with a 150 merc v6 on the back looks nice from pics T:T:

·
Registered
63 Posts
just taken this from the local paper

COASTGUARDS today gave a severe warning to people setting sail in inflatable dinghies after a family of five were found drifting in the middle of a shipping lane.

The family - mum and dad and three children - were stranded in the River Orwell with their small craft taking on water.

They had fixed an engine to the six-feet dinghy and set off from Pin Mill but ran out of fuel, leaving them in the dangerous centre of the river and heading for the sea at Felixstowe.

Rescuers said the man and his family, understood to be from Enfield in London, were “very lucky” to escape with their lives.

this is why training and education is so important

Respect the sea cos it won't respect you.... as FF says level 2 powerboat is a must.. do now before it gets cold.........T: T: T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
As a Coastguard i have no views on this whatsoever I: Seriously do a course or at least see if you can get some time handling a boat before you buy. The type of boat you buy is dependant on its primary use which unfortunatly only experience will dictate which is best. Some numpty at my local sailing club thought a Dory would be a good boat to use for safety work and they are a nightmare in anything above a flat calm, anyone with common sense and experience would know that was a bad move!

As us Coastguards say; be prepared! You need to account for a minimum of a hand held vhf radio and the ticket to use it, flares, smokes, a knowledge of the rules of the road and navigation. Things can change quicker than you can imagine at sea so be prepared. If you need any advice about the safety aspect let me know T:

Jimmy

p.s. those cheapo inflatables and lilo's should all be banned for use on the sea, they are a pain in the :* and extremely dangerous :eek: still it keeps me in a job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts