VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi peeps

as above say as anyone built there own swivel base,,mate of mine did one years ago on a reno master van he converted
he used a complete hub assembly from scarpers,,twas solid as a rock;)cant remember how exactly he did it but nowt like building your own,,,plus been reading about the ones £100 up coming apart,,,,not good

B

·
0 Posts
:eek:

if they can take a 3ton pull then go for it T:

where have you read about these £100 coming apart? I guess its the ones with a bolt in the middle ?:confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek:

if they can take a 3ton pull then go for it T:

where have you read about these £100 coming apart? I guess its the ones with a bolt in the middle ?:confused:

on here mateI:,,the fasp ones i think there called don't quote me on the spelling of the name thoughLOL:,,,,as far as the 3 tonnes pull is the ****y Allen style bolt I've just removed from the drivers seat today i don't think they would take that kind of strain,,the threads are quite meaty but the bolt heads themselves are chewy metal & that's VW bolts if there's such a thing:no;),,it was just a thought & when i fab summat together its built how isambard kingdom brunel built stuff,,,,i just think the swivel plate types seem alot of money for what you get & all the messing you have to do to get them to fit,,if you have access to a mig/angle grinder drill & steel its worth thinking about then doing,,which iam lucky enough to haveT:

B

·
0 Posts
mine are FASP ones and they went in with no messing :confused:
The bolts will be designed to have some "give" in them so they don't just snap under load.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My FASP ones went in today with no hassle........dont like them though, they seem to work ok but they are god dam ugly!! & im now sat far too high which causes blind spots!! i might have to lose the drivers one?

I:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My FASP ones went in today with no hassle........dont like them though, they seem to work ok but they are god dam ugly!! & im now sat far too high which causes blind spots!! i might have to lose the drivers one?

I:
,,,dam thats know good mate the blind spot thing,,,yeah ive read it on here somewhere about them needing a bit of fettling & one coming apart whilst his wife was driving:eek:,,,,,am ruddy sure of it lol,,,just thought i"d ask to see what opinions i get,,i enjoy fabricating stuff like that & you then know how strong it is,,,

"A Proper Weld 1" Long Can Hold A Tonne" amazing

mind you if you"ve ever tried to drilling or grinding weld you"ll know what i mean;)

http://www.discountrvproducts.com/index.php?content=RVSeatBase.php,,,,just an exampleT:

B

·
0 Posts
i dont see how they can come apart?

every other make of swivel base ive tried ( xcept for gen vw)ones) are like a rocking chair

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

every other make of swivel base ive tried ( xcept for gen vw)ones) are like a rocking chair
#6 04-07-09, 14:44
mccorry109
Van Pro

Re: Swivel Seats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think there's any perfect solution.

I went for CMC bases after reading complaints of FASP swivels not fitting properly; quite a few people have to spend hours filing to get them to fit, indeed there were a couple of forum members who had swapped their FASP bases for CMC ones and were happier with them. Also a friend of mine who drives a big motor-home had a set of FASP swivels on it and one completely came apart when she was driving it which was the deciding factor for me.

That said, there is a slight rocking on the centre bolt (it's very, very slight to the point I'd say it was completely negligible, but maybe that's just mine) and the safe did rattle like mad, but I stuck some lining carpet on the back of the front panel of the safe and it doesn't make a sound anymore.

Just in case you weren't confused enough
knew i"d find it sad or what lolLOL:T::)

B

·
0 Posts
id much rather go with a design that has been crash tested, than one that has it bearings held in with plywood , that hasn't and MIGHT be OK in a crash!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
7/11=12;355079"A Proper Weld 1" Long Can Hold A Tonne" amazing [/QUOTE said:
thats quite missleading, if i did a "proper" 1" long weld on some 22 guage sheet i cant see that holding a tonne.

what kind of weld, what thickness, what prep, what size weld, what material, what filler wire, what pre/post weld treatment, how is the load applied to the structure and in what direction in relation to the weld, is it a static load or shock load and under what conditions:confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats quite missleading, if i did a "proper" 1" long weld on some 22 guage sheet i cant see that holding a tonne.

what kind of weld, what thickness, what prep, what size weld, what material, what filler wire, what pre/post weld treatment, how is the load applied to the structure and in what direction in relation to the weld, is it a static load or shock load and under what conditions:confused:

not to me its notT:

·
Registered
199 Posts

I don't know exactly how it came apart. She said that the top came off the bottom completely; she was just driving round a roundabout and the seat ended up on the handbrake.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know exactly how it came apart. She said that the top came off the bottom completely; she was just driving round a roundabout and the seat ended up on the handbrake.
,,,:eek: not good at all mate just glad it didn't go badly wrong,,,that's another reason why i prefer build my own stuff like that,,sometimes the smallest of things can drive me mad & i will work it out till iam completely 100% satisfied its safe & ain't gonna move,but when you buy something some else as made you really are relying on them to have it right,personally if i was you & you still want the swivel seat set up i"d get it fabricated by a welder who enjoys what he does & not just another production line product sent out to the public,,i would also be speaking to the company/manufacturer of the product to see what they can do,,hope you get it sorted out one way or tutha,,good luck T:
Rick:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
,,,:eek: not good at all mate just glad it didn't go badly wrong,,,that's another reason why i prefer build my own stuff like that,,sometimes the smallest of things can drive me mad & i will work it out till iam completely 100% satisfied its safe & ain't gonna move,but when you buy something some else as made you really are relying on them to have it right,personally if i was you & you still want the swivel seat set up i"d get it fabricated by a welder who enjoys what he does & not just another production line product sent out to the public,,i would also be speaking to the company/manufacturer of the product to see what they can do,,hope you get it sorted out one way or tutha,,good luck T:
Rick:)
Fortunately it wasn't my van that it happened to. It was a good friend of ours who bought a motor home with FASP's in. She took it back to the dealer and he replaced it with another type of swivel, I'm not sure which type it was, it looked a little like a FASP, only the release handle was larger and more of a true red than the red/orange colour of a FASP.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Its true... the 'Weld' will hold a tonne,not the material unless its a metal that will take the load aswell...Theres that Guy of does the if you buy every part from a haynes manual then a very clean sports,4x4 etc car is born..He welded 2 stel rings together...put the top ring on a fork lift then attached the other ring to a bulk bag holding a tonne:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Im all for making my own stuff..after all someone has to make it in the first place for the companies to buy the designs off...Asda value food is not actually made by Asda;)As for crash tested...in a crash the last thing that would go through my mind would be Oh bugger wish i never used this uncrash tested seat base.. Your driving a Van which would only just scrape through safty tests..:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im all for making my own stuff..after all someone has to make it in the first place for the companies to buy the designs off...Asda value food is not actually made by Asda;)As for crash tested...in a crash the last thing that would go through my mind would be Oh bugger wish i never used this uncrash tested seat base.. Your driving a Van which would only just scrape through safty tests..:)
i agree mate,,,,all"s i know is drivers seat is now welded & fitted need some more steel & another spool of mig wire then i can crack on with the passenger side so"s mi lovely wife can sit her bum on a seat that she isn't going to sliiiiiiiiiiiide all over,,T:

B

·
0 Posts
As for crash tested...in a crash the last thing that would go through my mind would be Oh bugger wish i never used this uncrash tested seat base..
but it'll go through your mind when your laid in A&E if the seat swivel failed :ILU:

Your driving a Van which would only just scrape through safty tests..:)
you mean if it was tested today as a new vehicle?

·
Registered
232 Posts
but it'll go through your mind when your laid in A&E if the seat swivel failed :ILU:

you mean if it was tested today as a new vehicle?
Any 'mechanical' can fail regardless to who makes it or weather its been safety tested or not.If i were to make one then i wouldnt run it untill ive covered all cons:)

As for the safety test bit....Not as a new car but the year the model was built..:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
i agree mate,,,,all"s i know is drivers seat is now welded & fitted need some more steel & another spool of mig wire then i can crack on with the passenger side so"s mi lovely wife can sit her bum on a seat that she isn't going to sliiiiiiiiiiiide all over,,T:
Keep us posted on progress FellaT:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts