VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front wheel bearings are developing a bit of play, so I want to do them before that progresses to failure.

From what I've read they're a press-out, press-in job. Has anybody done this successfully as a DIY job, and if so how? I'm mechanically competent, but I don't have access to a press.

Or should I just take it to the garage? Or maybe take the knuckles off and take them to the garage and have the new bearings fitted there before putting it all back together? Your bearing experiences please.

·
Registered
56 Posts
take the parts you need of and down to your local garage from him a tenner and tell him to prss out old bearing and press new in pal , iv done it with a big hammer but wouldnt do it again i used the old bearing by putting them ontop of new set and goin round with hammer till the new ones are home but i would just remove and take down and let them use a press much easier

·
Registered
615 Posts
You could use a bench vice and put a socket set piece over it and try it like that. Thats how I did mt T25 bearings

·
Registered
950 Posts
You could use a bench vice and put a socket set piece over it and try it like that. Thats how I did mt T25 bearings
I think you'll find that a vice isn't man enough for a T4 wheel bearing as they are big & kin tight in the housing, I tried it that way but ended up taking it into work & put it on a hydraulic press & even then it took some moving.:eek:
Rich

·
Registered
554 Posts
find a small garage that has a press and is happy to do them for you.
even with a press they can sometime take a stupid amount of pressure to move them.
for a few quid it could save you, scrapped knuckles, bashed fingers, damaged bearing etc etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts