VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone able to identify this noise? (Please click on youtube links below) I thought it might be drive shaft but now that they have both been replaced the noise continues. Interestingly it's only when the gearbox is under load. Not so much when coasting on a flat and not when clutch is pushed in. Could it be gearbox? Any ideas? Here are links to three YouTube videos that I have just uploaded:

Thank you in advance! :)

http://youtu.be/NEbjYuwk14c

http://youtu.be/GXuIPImhVgM

http://youtu.be/aDTE27jCFN4

·
Registered
196 Posts
I watched these this morning, and then attended a chap with a similar noise this evening. I think it was probably the diff on his, and the sound and description are pretty much the same as yours.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
it sounds quite a lot like a CV joint on it's way out (although it could be something to do with the red tape on the tyre I:). I had the same problem a month or so go and fixed it by replacing the drive shaft (both sides) as in order to change the CV you need to do most of the work to change the whole shaft, and I figured that if one CV had bit the bullet, the other 3 weren't going to be far behind it.

entire drive shafts with CVs already attached are available for reasonable money in the UK, not sure what the situation down under is like though.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Quite liked the possibility of it being the red mark but was not quite convinced. also noted that drive shafts had been done.
......... I thought it might be drive shaft but now that they have both been replaced the noise continues. .............
My question is does the knocking sound the same on both sides? Fortunately (for me) I have no experience of duff Diffs so cannot offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks heaps for the replies I have received so far.
I put the red tape on the wheel for the purposes of the video - to show that the noise occurs with each wheel rotation.
The wheel is not buckled (note: the noise disappears when the clutch is pushed in i.e. when the gearbox is not under load so I don't think it's the wheel or wheel bearing)
It's correct that both drive shafts have been replaced in recent weeks so I don't think it is CV joints.
Thanks for the idea regarding the diff...sounds like a good possibility.T:

·
Registered
15 Posts
have you tried jacking front wheel up, one at a time and get some one slowly set of till wheel spining?? and go full lock to full lock see if this makes a differnce, and why was the drive shafts replaced was this to try eliminate this noise?? if so all well and good, if not could be a possible faulty cv joint on a new drive shaft?? depends on what circumstances really they were replace was it in a bummp?? or fail mot??

choke the wheels get it up in air get under and get a torch on job, you may get lucky??

chris.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks so much for everyone's helpful advice.
The issue has now been fixed.
It turned out that the mechanic had changed the right hand drive shaft for me back in November and when I dropped the van off two weeks ago to have the left hand drive shaft replaced he accidentally replaced the right hand one again. He was very upset with himself and apologetic and, of course, rectified the situation at no cost to me and he threw in an engine degrease.
She feels great to drive once again!
Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts