VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have thought about going to the mountain stages next year has anyone been and followed the tour looks great fun and i believe in the villages they have parties while they wait for the race to come through is this true and is it worth going to the race for a week ....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah love it and its going thorugh the town where i have a house next tuesday but sadly i will miss it as i aint there.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm going next weekend. Not been before but planning to watch the time trial in Annecy and then the climb on the Ventoux. Can't wait!

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
TBH the best place to watch the tour is on the telly, BUT you MUST experiance a stage going by at least once.

I was staying at Les Deux Alpes (sometimes the finish for stages) when the Tour went the nearby Alpe D'Houez, a tough mountain finish,

We rented bikes and rode to Borg D'Oisans and went a little way up the final hill climb.

The atmosphere of standing on the hill, and the friendliness of all the nations was brilliant, especially the Dutch who kept us up to date as to progress.

To cheer the Brits still in the race, and seeing Maro Pantani(RIP) on his way to the fastest ascent ever will live with me for ever....and My father, a mad keen cyclist seeing me and my chums on the hill while sitting at home with a beer was just brilliant.

Its over in a flash, but the build up and the sight of the peloton is worth seeing...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Even if you don't follow cycling as such the TDF is a great event. The mountains are the best, Alpe D'Huez, Ventoux (this year). You need to be there a few days early to get a spot in the van and be as self-sufficient as possible. It's a great party atmosphere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have seen it twice. And i have to agree best place to see it is on the HD Eurosport. But if you do see it then its great to see the before things that go on. Takes ages waiting for the riders to come through if they are in the bunch. Much better is there is a split. But as soon as they have gone through then thats it. You can chase it about if you know the area. But enjoy it and Respect to Lance!A:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts