VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off happy NEW YEAR T:A:

Righty has anybody carried a supermoto or a motorbike on the back of there t4's

ive got a drz 400 sm and will be looking to take it with me on my travels in the summer..

ive seen a few racks on ebay but they look naff and weak and wouldnt trust a 150kg bike on them even know they state max load 150kg.

just wondering if anybody has had anything made up or got something I could see..
looking for something to bolt on the tow hitch bolts,

I will be re-inforcing my two hitch with few more brackets if its an option to carry a bike with this method
as the the tow hitch is rated for pulling force not down force to carry weight...
it might be a total non starter but throught I would ask..
And I dont want to tow a bike trailer around...
Cheers

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
There are some around mate. I personally don't do this but I have seen one round my neck of the woods and he's carrying a motoX rig on the back. think it was a 250. Someone on here with shout out mate, just give it a little while.T:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers so it is on option then , ive only seen trail bike around my area on the back of cars and vans..
am even thinking maybe of clamping the front wheel and handle bars and forks and towing the back wheel..

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'm sure you'll find something buddy.
you could tow it mate but then your going to run a flat edge onto your tires on the bike. if you've got a towing eye, how about a bike trailer???

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yer true about the flat spot, if I dont find a safe way to load it on to the rear two hitch bolting points trailer it will have to be.

ive just found a heavy duty rack on the bay but looking at around 300 notes :eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
My bike goes in the back of my T4, but a mate of mine used a bike rack and the tailgate ended up getting scratched due to the bars rubbing caused when in motion.

I'd strongly recommend a single bike trailer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive got a dave cooper rack i had it on my old car and used it for my husaberg it was a good piece of kit just got to get it on the bus
if youve got a few pics buddy that would be great..cheers

Thats the thing about turning your van into a house its not a van any more i put my bikes in the back Rasp:
know what you mean i use to put my bikes in the back to, but bacon sarneys and beers by a lake won me over T:

My bike goes in the back of my T4, but a mate of mine used a bike rack and the tailgate ended up getting scratched due to the bars rubbing caused when in motion.
I'd strongly recommend a single bike trailer.
thast another problem with the racks, and with the van having a big flat area more area to rub, and the futher away the bike is from the fixing point the more stress on the bolting point,, bit of a catch 22....

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
When I bought my van it cam with this rack that the guy had made himself. It fits onto the tow bar and was pretty solid. I don't ride myself so I took it off (think it's still sitting in my cellar)

Don't know if that's the sort of thing you would need.

Mike Y

·
Registered
422 Posts
My cousin had one fitted to his caravelle for his enduro bike, they are ok but you have to really strap them down well, it is worth faffing around with for a bit before hand to work out the best way to strap it down. We also tywraped some pipe lagging a bit longer than the grips on the end of his bar so it didnt scratch the paint on the van.

Also you might have to invest in a set of airbags to help the rear springs as it does drop the back quite a bit.

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi

I carried my twinshock trials bike on a rack behind my ex aa no problems (no speed or lane restrictions on motorways) UNTIL I converted my van to a solid tailgate.

When it had barn doors I used the hinges to strap the bike to the van to stop it rocking.

I put the bike inside until I can work out an acceptable/secure way of doing the same with a tailgate. I will have to move the bike further from the van in the end.

The mechanical strength of a tow bar is huge no real worries about hanging a super moto on there at all, a goldwing might do damage but not an anorexic off road/on road s/m.

I used to carry my trials sidecar on a rack with no problems.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use a trailer to carry my klx 250. Have done the bike rack route but found yes I got damage to the rear of the van and it put a lot of weight on the rear. Doing 60 ain't that bad and gives good mpg.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I made my own rack for my trials bike. I have a removeable swan neck type towbar so used another towball so my rack just slots into the fixing. One upright with an eye at the bottom to strap through stops bike lifting or wobbling and angling the front wheel support at 45 degrees to the van stops handlebars being anywhere near the van.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Chippy, I'd definately be interested in one of these. Are you still working out the cost of labour and parts then or have you already done your first/prototype?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts