VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i could be racin this year mate if thats the case ill be gettin a tow hook and my rack fitted so ill put pics up when it happens
ideal great thanks, some pics will be great to give me some ideas....
I was thinking of putting straps with bend ally plates as hooks and hook them on the top of my tail gate , to take some of the weight off the frame..and use pipe lagging foam to stop the straps rubbing on the paint work...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
top tip put a tyre between the van and bike ive seen a T4 at one of our meets a couple of years ago looked solid enough and i know the guy was from wales and he made it to kent and got back ok so its doable
ive had a look at my bike weight and its 140kg, so its not overly heavy weight.

wales to kent is a far drive, so as you say the rear rack is doable...

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've a classic bike which weighs 180 - 190 kgs and have looked unsuccessfully for a towbar attachment, although there are some from the States which seem to be built to stand the weight. However - their towbars are different. I'd like to know the nose weight on a T4/T5. If I do go down that route I'll reinforce the carrier with bars underneath attached to the chassis. The thoughts of what would happen if the bike dropped off the back at 90 mph do make me nervous.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I've a classic bike which weighs 180 - 190 kgs and have looked unsuccessfully for a towbar attachment, although there are some from the States which seem to be built to stand the weight. However - their towbars are different. I'd like to know the nose weight on a T4/T5. If I do go down that route I'll reinforce the carrier with bars underneath attached to the chassis. The thoughts of what would happen if the bike dropped off the back at 90 mph do make me nervous.
i know what you mean! but i did a year with one of dave coppers bike racks on my old renult laguna and it was fine but its a bit scary first time out!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i could be racin this year mate if thats the case ill be gettin a tow hook and my rack fitted so ill put pics up when it happens
i'm in the process of fitting a detachable flange type towbar with the intention of fiting a dave cooper style bike rack to carry a 450 sxf for enduro racing gbxc cotswold etc my van is a 180 kombi have plylined and carpeted bulk head behind triple pasenger seats to keep bricklaying tools separate from family vehicle so cant put bike in the back any more have got bike trailer but i tend to run a bit late on sunday mornings so sometimes need to boot it:cool:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts