1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone done this or wanting to do it?

what did you put in the hole?T:

Have found a perfect alternative to the rubber bungT:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago. Using black grommets for now. Be careful if you do go ahead and use grommets in the interim as they push through easily and you can operate the door lock mechanism with your finger from the outside:eek:. I've now had to put a steel plate on the inside to prevent this so it wasn't quite the quick mod i had in mind.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have barn doors and I simply used some really cheap grommet things from the local motor factors.

I agree that there could be a security issue, so maybe a better solution is to glass a plate on the inside and maybe fill the holes properly - I might do that when I finally get around to rattle canning my van.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think having to sort out the doors will give me the push I need to get on and deal with the rust on the arches and dent in the side door. I'm concerned now that someone will come round and push my hole in!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the bung but then i found a better option.

Anyone remember the old classic mini wiper grommets?

Stainless steel ones with the wingnut on the back?

I bought 2 for £6 and have one in place whilst i prime and colour code the other one, works an absolute treat and is very flush:D

think itl be hardly noticeable when its colour coded and there'll be no pushing it through.

Will get a pic on, some of these seem to be thicker than others but i managed to get really slim ones. when ive done mine, if anyone wants the spare one they can have it free, i'll even stick a coat of primer on itT:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I had the bung but then i found a better option.

Anyone remember the old classic mini wiper grommets?

Stainless steel ones with the wingnut on the back?

I bought 2 for £6 and have one in place whilst i prime and colour code the other one, works an absolute treat and is very flush:D

think itl be hardly noticeable when its colour coded and there'll be no pushing it through.

Will get a pic on, some of these seem to be thicker than others but i managed to get really slim ones. when ive done mine, if anyone wants the spare one they can have it free, i'll even stick a coat of primer on itT:

I remember them vaugely but havnt seen any for years - where do you get them from?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got mine from a local car accessory shop, sen them on egay tho, search mini wiper grommet.

Not sure how thick those ones are but look the nuts when fittedT:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts