VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of a 3 week tour, anticlockwise around Spain & Portugal

not even at the planning stage yet, but anyone have any input/experiences of this circuit please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have got ferry from portsmouth to santander - drove straight down to Tarifa (spent one night in a servce station) left the van in tarifa and went to Morrocco - Tangiers for a coupe of days, came back got the van went to Cesares to see some friends. drove back to Cadiz then up around through the forests and into portugal ...stopped in various places along the Algarve - Alvor and Lagos, and few others names escape me .... then drove back home 4 week trip no probs... be careful if you ge the motorway up out of the algarve into spain got stung for 50 euros on the Tolls wasnt expecting that! did all this in a 25 year old T25.

never been up the caost of portugal but i hear its beautiful and great for wildcamping....

link to pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404985297713.188207.514912713&type=3&l=3242f31095

·
Registered
587 Posts
Did the Santander trip years ago in the car before we got the van. Rented a brilliant little house in Spain through Brittany Ferries and then drove back up north through France. It was only affordable because we took the house for a week. The ferry journey on its own was an arm and a leg. We looked at the ferry trip prices again last year but they were very very expensive for the car in July.The van is even longer than the car so it will be dearer still. Don't want to burst your bubble but check out the fares on-line before you plan any further. You might get a surprise.................................
I hope that it isn't too bad because it is a terrific trip.

J

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
Ferry prices put me off 10+ years ago when I was thinking of taking my Triumph Stag over, not that that would have helped the overheating problems!! LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, have done the crossing before, taking a night in a BF hotel to make a saving

have been doing Atlantic France via Plymouth/Roscof for 10 years

still trying to get the idea past the wifey

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm looking at Northern Spain/Southern & Western France this year.

Alternative to the horrendous Santander ferry price is, Ferry to Saint Malo/Roscoff/Cherbourg/Caen, then a 2.5 hour drive (from Saint Malo) to Saint Nazaire, then a Ferry (on LD Lines) to Gijon, right net to Santander/Bilbao.

You get the advantage of seeing the beautiful city of Saint Malo this way too.

Works out about £200 cheaper each way (if you use LD Lines for the channel crossing too).

Looking at ferrying/driving/ferrying down and driving back, or the other way around, not sure yet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi, I did a 4500+ mile road trip from dover, down the west of france, directly down to Tarifa, up to La manga, then diagnal across to top left corner of spain!

We went kitesurfing so basically followed the wind... wherever it was!

We also poped over to gib, well worth the trip... get the van up the steepest hills to the very top and admire!

Just dont mess with the monkys! Seriously it was all fun and games till they got annoyed and went mental! I bricked it, and we both screamed like little girls! LOL

Wouldnt hesitate doing it again... and dont worry about your van, my mates van sounded like a million hammers / spanners in a washing machine and it made it there and back no worrie (NO EXADURATION!)

Im sure its in my threads somewhere!???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

Did this trip on a bike, sailed to Santander drove through Northern Spain into Northern Portugal down into Gibraltar across to Ronda passing through Pantano del Chorro and El Chorro for stunning scenery across to Granada then made our way back up across to Santander for the relaxing ferry back after a long few weeks ride.
The cost of the ferry is quite high but when you compare a crossing to Calais or St Malo and then put your fuel on top there is little difference in price.
Most of our trip was inland the people are nicer away from the coast and everything is cheaper, Northern Portugal is stunning if you travel over the mountains as is Ronda and most of Andalucia.

Have a good trip

John

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Always do Portsmouth to Santander, return for a van in June is around £1000 - seems pricey, but Portsmouth to St Malo is £450. Add on payage charges (£80 each way) down to Hossegor /Biarritz and Fuel (£70 each way) plus a nights stopover. Then think of a 10 hr, 470 mile drive with a 5 yr old next to you, the dreaded Bordeaux ring road plus wear and tear on the van, you can see why I pay a bit extra and enjoy the cruise across the Biscay sunbathing and watching the occasional whale..T:

Oh, if you get the chance, pop into San Sebastian (Donastia) on the way back, one of the prettiest cities in Northern Spain..

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
a freind of mine has just got a place in portugal with ten acres ,he is moving out at the end of this year so im going to plan a road trip for 2013 he is turning it into a camping place with shacks to rent and a comunial bbq area.
i will be starting a thread to see if there is any interest and so far there will be three vans going so keep your eyes open T:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Always do Portsmouth to Santander, return for a van in June is around £1000 - seems pricey, but Portsmouth to St Malo is £450. Add on payage charges (£80 each way) down to Hossegor /Biarritz and Fuel (£70 each way) plus a nights stopover. Then think of a 10 hr, 470 mile drive with a 5 yr old next to you, the dreaded Bordeaux ring road plus wear and tear on the van, you can see why I pay a bit extra and enjoy the cruise across the Biscay sunbathing and watching the occasional whale..T:

Oh, if you get the chance, pop into San Sebastian (Donastia) on the way back, one of the prettiest cities in Northern Spain..
Last year we drove down through west France down to Malaga then returned via Santander-Plymouth with 2 kids - 6&4! Bordeaux took 3 hours -absolute nightmare-thank god for incar DVDs & calpol! If your taking kids sailing is by far simplest and painless apart from cost -just been quoted £1250 for July-August sailings.

What do you book your vans in as? Car/motorhome/mpv?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We did it in 2010 with our newly converted T5 - not the full circuit but we took the Plymouth to Santander ferry and got as far as Viveiro in Galicia.

We loved it. Stayed at a fantastic site in the Picos de Europa (in Potes) which is handy for the Fuente De cable car and some fantastic walking.

Stayed in lots of sites on the way to Viveiro and back and had an amazing time. We also love surfing and found lots of great surf beaches and quiet coves all along the coast of Northern Spain.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Last year we drove down through west France down to Malaga then returned via Santander-Plymouth with 2 kids - 6&4! Bordeaux took 3 hours -absolute nightmare-thank god for incar DVDs & calpol! If your taking kids sailing is by far simplest and painless apart from cost -just been quoted £1250 for July-August sailings.

What do you book your vans in as? Car/motorhome/mpv?
price is the same for van or motorhome as long as its less than 6m and lower than 2.2m -

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have lived in Southern Spain for 6 years now so have done the trip back to the UK quite a few times. Once in a T2 the rest in a T4. We have never gone from Santander due to the price. We have done Bilbao/Portsmouth twice, St Malo a couple of times, Booulogne once and Calais ferry and tunnel quite a lot :)These journeys have however been with only 2 adults so appreciate there may be different requirements if travelling with children. When we have travelled from Calais we head for East coast Spain then Paris or Le Mans. We can if necessary get from Bilboa to Almeria in one day but cant move for a few afterwards! St Malo was a nice one as we stopped off in San Sebastian and near La Rochelle en route - both places are lovely. Also we figured it was half way between having mammoth drive or big ferry price.

Hope this helps a bit :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
did dover-dunkirk ferry then drove through france stoped to see some friends in montemboeuf, near Limoges, then drove to san sebastian, down to salamanca, Moliona nr Malaga to see more friends, then cadiz and carried right along the coast back to france anti clockwise, was great, over 5k miles no real issues, no aircon :) camped in sites, on beaches, in parks ect cant recommend the trip highly enough

def doing it again this year but thinking either spain / portugal or germany / croatia / switzerland

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
have done UK to Santander twice, very pricey crossing, but saves hours of boring driving if you are heading into southern Spain

we went anti clockwise into Portugal, Pics de Europe is a must, it is a great holiday

1 - 18 of 18 Posts