VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above.

Was wonder if anyone had ever just a LWB cable to raise there handbrake on a short wheel base and maybe make a center console ?

Find the hand brake to be very low being 6.3 and I'm more of a use the handbrake rather than blind the person behind me at the traffic lights kinda drive.

Anyone know how much longer a LWB cable is?

Stu

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh toss :confused:

still possible just need a small loop for the spring and move it all forward and get the longer rods T:

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Ahh toss :confused:

still possible just need a small loop for the spring and move it all forward and get the longer rods T:
if there is nothing under the van to get in the way. but modding the rods could work.

but you will have to do a bit of relocating of the alignment ring as well.

the cable does not run straight to the spliter but at an angle to a centerally located ring that aligns the cable correctly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah doesn't look that difficult though.

might be easier to get to front cables and join them in a convenient place to make them longer and then you can make it as long as you like.

Dunno if this would cause any issue with MOT?

Stu

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if i was going to do that I would do it on the angled length between the two plastic guides.

that is this bit.
yeah that's what i was thinking.

right in the middle where its not gunna make any contact with anything it runs on or through.

spoke to a made whos a MOT tester he said it can't fail on the join if they cant see it. Soo put some rubber tubing/gaiter over the join I:.

Stu

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right just had a look at the end of a cable.

Probs easier to just make a short section of cable with a hook or something to go through the hole on the handbrake end of the cable, then the join is hidden inside your center console where no MOT tester can see it I:.

Another thought if you plan on making a fancy center console is why use a T4 hand brake lever, its not the best looking of things, as long as it has a enough travel on the pull of the cable it should work.

Mine will probably just be a case of raising it abit as i have a double seat and there isn't much room for a center console :(

Stu

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
if you are going to have a short one made would it not be easier to just make one?

But depending on how much length you need you might get away with some internal/ecternal stepped rod as an extender on the rear adjustment section.

as there is some length to play with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you are going to have a short one made would it not be easier to just make one?

But depending on how much length you need you might get away with some internal/ecternal stepped rod as an extender on the rear adjustment section.

as there is some length to play with.
yeah good point you've probs got 100mm to play with there and abit more in the adjuster.

I'd only want mine about 100m

though i could get rid of my arm rest and built a narrow center console with an arm rest on top hmmmm.

yes I was under the van doing hand brake stuff over the weekend.

old and new front section.

see how it has been deformed over time.

and worn the guide.
yeah its got quite a curve on it. just pulled the cover of mine, may have extend the channel for the cable back abit to make sure it doesnt rub on the cable

Stu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts