VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would be careful using rivets as they have a hole through them, ok with sikaflex you could seal then but I wouldn't want to risk it in the long run, self rappers best hereT:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
HI Guys
I was going to fit mine today but thankfully was checking the forum for how to do it before I started and made a complete beep mess of it... When you say use window bonding and primer could you explain in a tad more detail for me.. I imagine the window bonding goes onto the rail that comes into contact with the gutter, what is the primer for... I thought primer was for painting.. sorry if i am being a numpty
cheers for any help

·
Registered
737 Posts
HI Guys
I was going to fit mine today but thankfully was checking the forum for how to do it before I started and made a complete beep mess of it... When you say use window bonding and primer could you explain in a tad more detail for me.. I imagine the window bonding goes onto the rail that comes into contact with the gutter, what is the primer for... I thought primer was for painting.. sorry if i am being a numpty
cheers for any help
primer goes on the surface your are bonding your rail to, helps it stick betterT:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I am little confused now if I fit the awning rail in the gutter will I still be able to attache a Kyham motortourer to it, there seems to be different views on this due to the height of the awning, I really really don't want to get this wrong..

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Only my viewpoint and I stress that T: ;

The reimo multirail fits on the van roughly where my cheapo one is.

I'm certain my motordome tourer wouldn't fit well if the rail were higher / further in ( I really can't speak for other awnings).

Properly painted I'm happy with my simple "c" section rail where it is.

Mine is simply fixed on with sikaflex using their primer. As yet it has no other fixings and has been on over a year now with no problem. (my intention has always been to use one self tapper at either end).
I have used it with both my tarp and my awning and in really stormy weather too.

I may not be right, but that's how mine is.

·
Registered
874 Posts
why dont you just fit a reimo multirail looks far better but does come at a price
It doesnt though, you cant tell mine has got an awning rail on unless you go looking for it, the reimo one seems way overpriced for something that sticks out like a sore thumb as opposed to £8 worth of J rail nicely hidden away

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
If I had no need to consider awning height, I'd have looked at the gutter route. If I had over £100 to spend on an awning rail I'd have used a Reimo one.
I had to and I didn't and it works very well :DT:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys,

For those with rails fitted in the gutter channel, do you have any trouble with the awning rubbing on the edge of the roof?

I've just bought a Motordome Sleeper and was thinking of going down the bonded gutter route.

Is the best stuff Sikaflex 252 for bonding? Not found anywhere that sells it at a sensible price - about £20 a tube on ebay. Anyone any thoughts where to get it from? Saw a post mentioning Sikaflex EBT from Screwfix. Anyone used this? Really don't want to drill.

Cheers,

Dave
I found a guy doing windscreen repairs in a car park somewhere and bought a tube of the stuff used to bond windows in for a tenner. Figured if it was strong enough for windscreens it'd cope with an awning. Haven't been proved wrong yet....

21 - 33 of 33 Posts