VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a reasonably priced single base if anyone has one? Let me know how much you want for it, pref in lancs area and i can pick up.T:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hey mate, I have one but as y'know I aint local to you. What you after new style or old style? (the base to seat mounting is different) The one I have spare is the older one. 30 quid.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

Early is fine, i'm putting rover seats on them anyway so either would do. From memory you are somewhere in the shropshire area? I got that top cupboard off you last year. I may be able to get down to you next week if i don't find one nearer.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Cool mate, just let me know eh, I have some steel bar here we could make the other bits from if you need to..and a welder if it's required. T: I am away the week after though.
Did you fit the top locker thang? Was it you I dropped it off with Vanquish for or the one at the Dub show in Shrews?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mate thats an offer i can't refuse. I think i'm off work nest tues if you're free? I could come down with my old seats in and fit them while i'm with you. I havent sorted any metal bits for alterations yet so that sounds cool.T:

I picked up the top box from vanquish in a pub car park near shrewsbury. Didn't fit it as i sold my van but just starting on a new one so it will be going in this one......

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Don't think I'll be able to take enough time out of work for fitting them, but if you measure the mounting holes across the the rails I can cut the bar and drill it ready for you. The rest takes a while to get right (or it did with my Merc seats), nowt complicated just a bit of measuring, re-measuring drilling etc.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can work around you bud. What time do you finish work on a tues? I dont need them fitting in, if I can get some metal for making adjusting pieces I can drill and bolt it later. I was just wondering if the drivers seat needs shortening? If these seats sit a bit high I may need to cut them down and do some welding which is where I have no clue.

It may only be the drivers one that needs cutting down. Not sure how it would be done?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Its meant to be easy enough to cut the bases down, just cut around them at whatever height you want then slide the bottom bit inside the top bit and weld it up (or drill and bolt it). I made new bases from scratch, hence having a spare base.
The only way you'll know if the base needs lowering is by trying it. My Merc seats seemed fine when measuring them but sat really high when on the VW bases.
Might be worth asking about the seats in general chat, quite a few folk have MG or Rover seats. Alternatively there is athread somewhere on seats.
If it's just pick up mate any time before 4.00 would be best, 5 onwards is tricky.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right, my mrs is moaning about me spending a day coming down to you to pick up a seat base lol. I do still want it but as she has pointed out we are passing you in about 4 weeks when we head down south tho visit friends. Is it OK if we leave it for a few weeks bud?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right, my mrs is moaning about me spending a day coming down to you to pick up a seat base lol. I do still want it but as she has pointed out we are passing you in about 4 weeks when we head down south to visit friends. Is it OK if we leave it for a few weeks bud?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No worries mate, its just in the garage doing no harm to no one.
I had a look on the seats thread just, it does seem that people reckon Rover seats sit about an inch or so too high on VW bases. Do you want me to cut this one down an inch or so and weld it up? If you aint down for a few weeks I'd have time to get it ready. You'll need to put a bit of paint on it where its welded tough. Oh, and my welding aint the prettyest But it'll be mainly on the inside of the base.
Had a look for that steel bar, I don't have as much as I thought, enough to do one seat only. (Only £5.80 from B&Q though)T:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be superb if you don't mind mate. Feel free to take it down a couple of inch as i'm 6'6" so don't mind low. Any steel would be useful for making joining pieces, anythings a bonus mate.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Found another piece which might be useful.
Do me a favour, just measure across the rails anyway (mounting hole to mounting hole (centres), I'll have a better idea of what's required then.
Laters

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
just to confirm you deffinitely want this before I take the angle grinder and welder to it?? £30.00 still. Just that i'll struggle to shift it once I've chopped it down.

6ft bleedin' 6? Wouldn't you be better off getting your roof raised?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Never mind, done it anyway. (Not quite as straight forward as I thought, bit more cutting and grinding involved)
1 1/4" lower. 2" would've caused issues with floor stud alignment.
Just to reitterate... I aint a pro welder by any stretch of anyones imagination and therefore give no guarantees of any kind, but it don't look bad to me bro. T:
Might just whack a couple of HT bolts through for good measure (or is that over-kill?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts