VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, In the process of insulating ready to carpet.

I want to cover the whole of my tailgate in carpet ( 800 special, except window obviously) and then refit ply panel with some 6x9's in so no metak showing

I have read a bit if what people have done before but does anyone have any picture examples I could see, always helps a great deal.

thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi, In the process of insulating ready to carpet.

I want to cover the whole of my tailgate in carpet ( 800 special, except window obviously) and then refit ply panel with some 6x9's in so no metak showing

I have read a bit if what people have done before but does anyone have any picture examples I could see, always helps a great deal.

thanks
Stoo, I've been covering this very subject with Will at Tidy Transporters last week. Will's line is don't. The tailgate / barn door weather seals work best when marrying up to metalwork... if you try and cut your carpet to the seal edge it looks a untidy. Cover the lot and the water where the seal makes contact quickly deteriorates and looks a mess! Personally I hate the exposed metalwork. How about fitting caravelle tailgate plastics covered or uncovered? Cheers bud, Robert

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, good advice. I'm going to see will next week to fit a window in side and do some tinting so I'll chat with him then. I'll probably use some car body fill for the holes and then paint it with either black or White hammerite, as I have some already. I don't mind really, I just want it looking tidy. Thanks again and I'll let ya know on my thread

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
hi mate i would allso say not to do it for the very same reasons go with the filler and paint mate it will still look tidy :ILU::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Yup it will leak like a collander.

I tried it as an experiment on my old van as I wanted to do it but thought it may leak. Stuck some carpet in place where the seal meats the metal with double sided tape and went to the car wash.

Wasn't very successful shall we say :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts