VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I'm about to install electrics in my 1.9 2008 t28 panel van and could really use some advice from people who have done this or similar.

im going to purchase a 110 ah leisure battery (175mm high) from upspex as i her these fit under the seat? im also going to need to house a split charge system im going to get from xtremevans, my questions are;

1. How do i get access to the area beneath the drivers seat? do i need to remove the seat from its base? if so how do i do this?

2. once the leisure battery is installed does it need to be earthed? how can i do this?

3. does the leisure battery need venting? if so can this be done by going through the floor under the seat? i read somewhere there is a grommet?

4. Finally, whats the best way to hide the cables whilst running them into the engine bay from the drivers seat?

Any advice on any of these questions would be really appreciated!!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi
Quite a list of questions you have there I:
First you need to remove the seat from the base. There are two nuts at the front & two bolts at the back. If you slide the seat forward & back you should see them.

Take out the seat base (four nuts) pull back the rubber mat there is an earth point under the seat base, there is also a large grommet you can use to vent the battery.

To run the cables the mat needs to come out & the bottom part of the dash needs to be removed, there is also a black plastic cover to remove (in the second picture). run the cables along side all the others. I have put a couple of pics on here but there are loads more on my profile page.

:ILU:

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi I have just installed a leisure battery , split charger and 240v hook up all underneath the drivers seat. I bought it all from Upspex and it comes with excellent instructions which covers all the points you have asked. Highly recommended !

·
Registered
759 Posts
hi I have just installed a leisure battery , split charger and 240v hook up all underneath the drivers seat. I bought it all from Upspex and it comes with excellent instructions which covers all the points you have asked. Highly recommended !

I seconed the above. Easy, even for those without electrickery experience. Martyn at travelvolts is superb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this! really appreciate the help. I will order my gear from Martyn too then.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also got my stuff from Martyn. The install is easy but does take some time to get right and you have to remove a lot of dash panels but it's good to do it all at once so run some extra cables in even if you can't think of a use for them yet. I made a frame for my battery which helps to keep it in position.

Removing the seat base is easy if you are on level ground because of the handbrake mounting on the side. You will need to remove it which is easy btw but keep the van in gear!

·
Registered
211 Posts
PS
Forgot to say that the earth point is under the mat and on my layout is just under the front of the battery. Luckily I was able to saw a bit off the stud and use an ordinary nut to attach the earth strap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Anyone installed a leisure battery under the drivers seat? -

What size battery fits under the drivers seat ? I have been wondering where to hide the battery and didnt want to loose the storage space under the passenger seats T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi All,

Just wondered if the red cabling you've fitted from the main battery to the under-seat one is 60A rated ? or higher please ?

It looks like 60A from the photos here?

I'm going through the pain of installing Ham radio gear into my T5 at present and the radio itself draws about 22A when transmitting on full power.

The funds aren't available right now to go dual battery straight away.

I'm debating installing a 60A feed from the main battery initially to power the radio, then as funds become available swapping it over to a second battery and using the 60A feed-in to charge the second battery (as yet undecided whether to put it under the drivers seat or fit one of jkay's double battery shelves under the bonnet)

what is the typical current draw on the leisure batteries when charging please ?

regards

BB

·
Registered
425 Posts
Worth noting that the unused grommet into the engine bay is used as a sunroof drain (if you have a sunroof) or roof drain if you have a Cali roof...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have bought a brand new 190 high 100AH leisure battery.

Is this too big to go under the drivers seat, before I take everything out?

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I have bought a brand new 190 high 100AH leisure battery.

Is this too big to go under the drivers seat, before I take everything out?

TIA
If it's 190mm to the top of the terminal then yes it should squeeze under there, but please use terminal covers,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts