VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking at doing this to my iPhone 4 and just wondered what your thoughts were on doing it?

There's loads of free apps and it really opens up the usability of it, like flash etc. The main reason is I'm switching suppliers so would need to unlock from the carrier I'm with at the mo.

And for those of you who have no idea what I'm on about click here http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Re: Anyone jailbreak'd their iPhone? - pro's V's cons??

Keith, your current supplier should unlock it for you free of charge.... Once jailbroken i was led to believe you couldn't update it that easily?!?!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

I used to Jailbreak iPhones before they were available on Orange. You can get access to a few more apps but as said above, updating them after jailbreaking can be a real pain and a bit hit and miss

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/

Very nice tutorial for any ios device to be jailbroken A:

I swear by it, have my ipad and iphone jailbroken.

Extra features, functionality, free software ;) In fact iphone without a jailbreak is pretty rubbish imo.

Any probs or questions u have lmk T:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

Done mine too. Much better for it.
If you want pirate apps, it's simple.
The best thing is increased functionality.

Once you install sbsettings you will wonder why apple haven't copied such
a great feature.

I'd do it. The only downside is you loose the jailbreak everytime apple release a new
firmware. Usually they are just updates to close loopholes that enable jailbreaking, but with a big update like the recent ios5 you'll either have to wait until the jailbreakers work their magic berode updating or just stay on iOS4

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

As I mainly use the iPhone at home am I not better off just getting a cheap phone for calls (or even use me old one) and get an iPad1 or 2???

I'd be able to use it in the van then for me tunes etc..

Is the 2 worth paying the extra for??

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Anyone jailbreak'd their iPhone? - or shall I save for an iPad??

I got both as i want email, internet, ebay, facebook, twitter, games on the move, geek i know, but work is boring sometimes T:

The ipad fills the gap of home laptop and van puter plus all the above, and me its sexy! :D

So you reckon it's worth chopping in the iPhone for the iPad and have a normal phone??

And is the iPad2 worth the extra money over the iPad1???

Sorry for all the questions I:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

Hav a 3GS iPhone, waiting for my 4S to arrive...

Also hav an iPad 1 - love it although it's out of action and I'm off to the apple store tomorrow for them to sort it. My only gripe with iPad 1 is no
Camera for Skype as my girlfriend is in Aus at the moment... But with the 4S arriving it won't be an issue!
My laptop is virtually redundant and it makes a nice TV in the van :D

Why get rid of the iPhone 4? Can't you have both T:

As for jail breaking - not really necessary unless you can't get it unlocked. I jail broke the girlfriends one as she uses it on an Aus sim...

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I'd love to be able to afford both buddy but when you've got 5 kids and no income at the mo I can't justify it :*

Was hoping the phone would subsidise the iPad T:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

As for jail breaking - not really necessary unless you can't get it unlocked. I jail broke the girlfriends one as she uses it on an Aus sim...
Jailbreaking is a whole lot more than a carrier unlock!

Im still on my old 3gs, the faster 4/4s front camera isnt a need for me, this beaut still does everything i need it for since its jailbroken, the crackers r talking about ripping siri out of 4s fw and porting to older devices since there is no reason it wont run on older hw, just apple yet again dictating customer needs and choices!

When a phone (android) with nfc comes out im gonna get that! Can pay for [email protected] with a swipe of me phone!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

Ive just got an iPad 1 as payment for a big job, A:A:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

Fair do's bud - probably better off keeping the iPhone as its more convenient to carry around and you're probably used to the smaller screen etc...

If you're happy spending time when it comes to updates etc, jail break it to be able to take advantage of Cydia etc... I am not patient enough to go through the whole process every time apple release an update...

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm certainly used to "small" mate ;)

Think I'll get a small phono to phono lead for the stereo then T:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts

So you reckon it's worth chopping in the iPhone for the iPad and have a normal phone??

And is the iPad2 worth the extra money over the iPad1???

Sorry for all the questions I:
iPad 2 is defo worth the extra money over an iPad 1, I own a iPod, iPhone & iPad repair company down in Brighton and we see a hell of a lot of iPad 2's thou, a lot easy to crack than the original. Apple has a few in the refub store with £40 off at the moment

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/

Very nice tutorial for any ios device to be jailbroken A:

I swear by it, have my ipad and iphone jailbroken.

Extra features, functionality, free software ;) In fact iphone without a jailbreak is pretty rubbish imo.

Any probs or questions u have lmk T:
Just done mine with this :) cheers Abyss

1 - 20 of 54 Posts