VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Anyone jailbreak'd their iPhone? - or shall I save for an iPad??

I looked at Jailbreaking mine but read too many posts like this:

"I've just tried to Jailbreak my phone and not it won't work at all" to which the replies were "yeah that happens sometimes"

Problem is if it goes wrong you have no support and no one wants to know, can't take it back to the shop, iPhone is then the worlds most expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

I looked at Jailbreaking mine but read too many posts like this:

"I've just tried to Jailbreak my phone and not it won't work at all" to which the replies were "yeah that happens sometimes"

Problem is if it goes wrong you have no support and no one wants to know, can't take it back to the shop, iPhone is then the worlds most expensive paper weight.
Sounds like scaremongering that, if you do something wrong during a jailbrake or at anytime with the phone, you have 2 functions to utilise. Restore mode and DFU mode.

Quite simply the first thing you do is plug-in to iTunes and press restore, either to a chosen firmware version or the latest.
The 2nd is to put the phone into DFU mode (google) and restore that way.

I guarantee at least one of them methods will work. Otherwise you have a hardware fault.

In any case you do have support in these circumstances, Apple and your provider, you don’t need to say how you got the phone into that state as there are legitimate ways of this happening.

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

i'm scouring ebay looking for what i'd get for my iphone and the fluctuation is scary, from a 99p auction bid to £360 :*

wos reckon their worth peeps, it's the 16Gb one, would i get more for it unlocked/jailbroken :*

·
Registered
913 Posts

And remember to save your original settings! I had a jailbroke iphone 4, stupidily updated to os 5.4.2 and fooked it! Now trying to gert hold of a payg micro sim in order to see if i can finally re jailbreak it? My other iphone4 is bog standard as can't be d with all the untethered stuff..it confusing lol
Ipad 1 I have and it's great for surfing web, bbci player etc...... as a laptop replacement? not convinced:D
Gaz

·
Premium Member
767 Posts

i'm scouring ebay looking for what i'd get for my iphone and the fluctuation is scary, from a 99p auction bid to £360 :*

wos reckon their worth peeps, it's the 16Gb one, would i get more for it unlocked/jailbroken :*
I got £350 for my old iPhone 4 yesterday on eBay, I did fit a new front and rear on it before hand thou.

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I got £350 for my old iPhone 4 yesterday on eBay, I did fit a new front and rear on it before hand thou.
Was that very dear?? Mine spent all it's life in the free case though I:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

You selling your iphone?

What firmware version you on? general - about - version, list that in your auction, as it dictates its jailbreaking preference if the buyer wishes, you could also say you can put it to ios 5 if the buyer wants.

What contract was it on, if it was o2, you can get it factory unlocked, which will greatly increase its resale value T:

·
Banned
924 Posts

was speaking to chippy n t4scottie on sunday about the whole jailbraking thing T: and am contemplating doing my iphone 4 on os 5 is it easy ?? scottie said about using redsnow and yet peeps here say another one :* am in the i AM confused dot com at the moment :*

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

You selling your iphone?

What firmware version you on? general - about - version, list that in your auction, as it dictates its jailbreaking preference if the buyer wishes, you could also say you can put it to ios 5 if the buyer wants.

What contract was it on, if it was o2, you can get it factory unlocked, which will greatly increase its resale value T:
Don't seem much point keeping it now I've got the lappy up and going mate :(

Did an update last week so should be the latest firmware and it was on a vodafone contract I:

Suppose I could just unlock it and leave the jailbreak to the buyer like you said T:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Re: Anyone jailbreak'd their iPhone?

Jailbreak is available now for all a4 devices (The untethered is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
) on ios 5.0.1 using redsnow. Check here
Other versions of ios follow the guides on www.iclarified.com/jailbreak

To get free apps I: when jailbroken and u have cydia, add anther source by selecting manage, sources, edit, add, cydia.hackulo.us then when repos updated search for 'installous' then get your apps from there now, remember they are hosted on free data sites so some challenge responses are needed, but tomtom is great for the van I:

·
Registered
441 Posts

Slightly off track, I am coming over to the UK next week, and her indoors want's me me to get her an Ipad2, as over here the cheapest is about €500, where can I get the best price on one and buy from stock?.

Thank you,T:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Jailbreak is available now for all a4 devices (The untethered is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G

To get free apps I: when jailbroken and u have cydia, add anther source by selecting manage, sources, edit, add, cydia.hackulo.us then when repos updated search for 'installous' then get your apps from there now, remember they are hosted on free data sites so some challenge responses are needed, but tomtom is great for the van I:
Nice one for that fella, I'll get that done today T: I'm assuming that unlocks it from Vodafone aswell I:

Slightly off track, I am coming over to the UK next week, and her indoors want's me me to get her an Ipad2, as over here the cheapest is about €500, where can I get the best price on one and buy from stock?.

Thank you,T:
I've no idea mate, might be better off starting a fresh new thread in the pub section T:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

All done, thanks fella T:

any more recommended apps I:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Unlocking is a different kettle of fish, an application called ultrasn0w is used to unlock, but that depends on your baseband version your running, and if you have the latest ios 5.0.1 and your upgraded via itunes then im certain you cant unlock the phone via a jailbreaked method. Your best asking vodafone for a factory supported unlock T:

my best 'paid for' app from installous is tomtom europe, got me to croatia and back in me van for 3 weeks and all over uk :)

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Yea don't mind paying for decent apps T:

As for the carrier, me n vodafone had a bit of a falling out 3/4 through the contract I:

I'm on 5.0.1 and installed Ultrasn0w etc but don't know if its done anything yet, mrs has gone out to get me an o2 PAYG microsim T:

·
Registered
43 Posts

giff gaff have great deals - with a £10 month top up u get decent package with unlimited internet - http://giffgaff.com/index/offer coverage same as O2.
Son jail broke my iPhone and we downloaded Tomtom NZ when we visited our daughter for free and it was great, just downloaded Europe for our trip to Wolfsburg in June :)

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Tom tom sounds like a must and is deffo on the list T:

o2 do a PAYG unlimited, if you top up £15 a month you get unlimited calls and text to other o2 customers.

Advantages: most of me mates are on o2 T:
Disadvantages: so's the mrs now :(

I know i've fallen out with vodafone but they should still give me the unlock shouldn't they, I paid £120 for the phone when they first came out but i suppose that was a condition of having it for 24 months?? where do i stand with that before i ring em peeps :*

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

I know i've fallen out with vodafone but they should still give me the unlock shouldn't they, I paid £120 for the phone when they first came out but i suppose that was a condition of having it for 24 months?? where do i stand with that before i ring em peeps :*
okay, for anyone else in the same boat as me, as my phone has no number attached (contract cancelled) they can't unlock it.

So options are

Take it to a vodafone store where they will carrier unlock it for £20
buy a vodafone PAYG microsim, (attach number) then let them carrier unlock it, cost, £10 for microsim

SO if i want to got to o2 it's gonna cost £20-£30 T:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

The phone that is originally from o2, fill this form out, and put in any o2 sim, get it unlocked that way, if tis contract its free, thats how i did mine. Trust me factory unlock is the best, jailbreak unlock is a pain as next time u update firmware u will loose the unlock unless you mess about with pwnage tool and create custom firmware packages that dont update your baseband!

so just to re-iterate stock firmware at 5.0.1 delivered from itunes (or phone new) on 3GS or iphone 4 jailbroken then ultrasn0w installed will NOT unlock your phone, as your baseband firmware is simply too new and the cr/hackers have not figured out how to unlock that one yet.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts