VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sold my T5 and am now looking for a golf GT Tdi 170 bhp.

My wife wants an auto but I'm not sure:*

I like the idea but the last auto I drove was years ago and to be honest wasn't a nice experience. Just that constant drone:(

Are the DSG boxes any good? Problematic? Do they drive nice?

Thanks for any feedbackT:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have a Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI with DSG, probably the same at the golf to be honest. Im now a massive fan, so easy to drive and fun when you really want to give it some. its not great in stop start traffic but so much better that the old auto boxes.

I had to test drive one before i made my mind up, id recommend doing that but try to get more than the usual 10 minutes salesman route!

hope that helps!

Sam

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Make sure you are aware of the differences between an auto gearbox and the DSG system. 2 very different beasts....
If VW can't get the basic flywheel and clutch setup to work and last properly, the idea of anything more complex would terrify me!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure you are aware of the differences between an auto gearbox and the DSG system. 2 very different beasts....
If VW can't get the basic flywheel and clutch setup to work and last properly, the idea of anything more complex would terrify me!
To be fair most manufacturers have the same problems with DMF and clutches:(

I'll go for a test drive in one, prob best ideaT:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I bought a Golf 6 DSG after 35 years driving manual vehicles. I have now done over 50 000 miles and would never go back to manual - it's the best! The proof is in the pudding - the missus drives a DSG EOS and the T5 is also DSG. Sister's also just bought one based on trying ours out. Says it all! T:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Make sure you complete dsg gearbox oil changed every 30k as book says,
Very good boxes, giggle when giving it some,
But still personally give me a clutch pedal,

Expensive it they do go wrong though,
Mk5 r32 dsg clutches is like 12hr job!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a PQ35 DSG - chipped to 170 - very, very good transmission - absolutely no issues.
It was on the strength of that I got the T5.1 140 DSG - again chipped.

No point having a manual when these boxes are so good.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
I had a PQ35 DSG - chipped to 170 - very, very good transmission - absolutely no issues.

Yes there is.

1) No "creep" at low speeds.
2) More reliable
3) Better on fuel
4) Lower emissions
5) Finer control off road (especially on 4Motions)
6) Lighter

There are more...

·
Registered
383 Posts

I'm with you on this one T: I've had to wait an extra 6 months on my order just for Dsg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My golf Gti edition 30 has DSG and I LOVE IT !
For fun on twisty roads and generally putting a smile on ya face I'd go for it !!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes there is.

1) No "creep" at low speeds.
2) More reliable
3) Better on fuel
4) Lower emissions
5) Finer control off road (especially on 4Motions)
6) Lighter

There are more...
Oh dear - I beg to differ
1) do you really sit in neutral with yoru handbrake off for long periods in your manual? No you have your handbrake on or foot on the pedal - no difference
2) same gearbox - only the clutch differs and that has two sets of plates - never heard or seen one go pop yet. They're the biggest selling feature in China VW derived products - and those guys know how to punish a car and ignore any kind of maintenance program.
3. No difference on fuel - if you want to override the auto function you have a clutchless car with manual shifting. It isn't an auto slush box.
4. Might give you that one as it goes with 6. - but since they're still Euro 5 compliant who gives a flying fig. A few kgs extra makes no discernible difference - take a couple less pies in your bait box - equilibrium is returned.
5. The best cars off road are autos. I've had plenty (not a 4motion so I speak in general here) as autos don't stall during slow speed manoeuvring, no matter how quick you are on the clutch.
6. see 4.

Maybe we agree to disagree.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Oh dear - I beg to differ
1) do you really sit in neutral with yoru handbrake off for long periods in your manual? No you have your handbrake on or foot on the pedal - no difference look at countless complaints about pulling away from a standstill.
2) same gearbox - only the clutch differs and that has two sets of plates - never heard or seen one go pop yet. They're the biggest selling feature in China VW derived products - and those guys know how to punish a car and ignore any kind of maintenance program. I suggest you google "DSG problems"
3. No difference on fuel - if you want to override the auto function you have a clutchless car with manual shifting. It isn't an auto slush box. Yes there is -official figures are 1-3mpg worse
4. Might give you that one as it goes with 6. - but since they're still Euro 5 compliant who gives a flying fig. A few kgs extra makes no discernible difference - take a couple less pies in your bait box - equilibrium is returned. But its still heavier and can tip some models into a higher emissions band
5. The best cars off road are autos. I've had plenty (not a 4motion so I speak in general here) as autos don't stall during slow speed manoeuvring, no matter how quick you are on the clutch. LOL:LOL: Really clutching at straws here aren't you? Try telling LR Defender drivers the same thing. I know, we had one for a year and I've also taught off road driving to others as part of a Geotech engineering job and done countless miles green laning; we used modded 110s and HiLuxes in the job all MANUAL. Same for any utility company needing serious off road ability
6. see 4.

Maybe we agree to disagree.
Maybe we do.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The only reason you had a manual in your 110 Defender is because that's all that's on offer from LR. I had 2 new 110 double cabs and would have gone for an auto if there was the option as they are far superior off road and a lot kinder on the drive train as there are no shock loads like you get with a manual transmission.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
The only reason you had a manual in your 110 Defender is because that's all that's on offer from LR. I had 2 new 110 double cabs and would have gone for an auto if there was the option as they are far superior off road and a lot kinder on the drive train as there are no shock loads like you get with a manual transmission.
Wrong, I'd choose manual again. It gives finer low speed control, you can do sustained gear changes dropping cogs (no box can yet do these), I think the T5 manual is very good and I'm under 40 so therefore still capable of changing gears.

I am aware that the DSG box is well regarded but what irks me is the usual "it's more expensive so therefore it's better" nonsense. It's DIFFERENT but it's not better. IMO it's worse. Read any vaguely enthusiast based mag; many aren't keen on DSG boxes.

And I'm not blinkered - our BM 335d is full auto (no option) but the box suits the car perfectly; a decent 6 speed ZF auto. A manual would be a PITA in it.

Torque converters in autos aren't "kinder" they are just an extra cushion that makes the transmission feel like it's being less stressed. If you can change gears in a manual properly, the wear rate is very similar.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Also, how would you KNOW that an auto would be far superior in a Defender? The only one I can think of is the auto box in the 40th Anniversary V8 from the late 90s. If LR used similar "technology" in an auto as they do in the rest of the vehicle (ours was a late 2007 110XS TDCi) then it would undoubtedly be pretty ropey.

If some who ticked the DSG box realised that some people don't WANT it, I would be a happier man.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Having had DSG in two Audi company cars.. ..I would never choose to have it again. Oh and a 'mutlitronic' in an A4. (the wife only drives auto, which is why it was requested)

Don't get me wrong, I like a good auto box. The Auto in my V8 CLK (which had torque converter lockup so you still had engine braking etc) was simply superb.

The DSG - not so much. The hesitancy on pulling away, particularly if there was rain or leaves about was at best annoying and at worst downright dangerous - several instances of getting a few feet out and then it changing it's mind and backing right off. Not good, and not acceptable.

That coupled with the faults and failures (each one had the gearbox out for 'sensor' replacements at least once, one had a whole new clutch assembly), made living with it too frustrating. Dry surface, once you were rolling, nice and smooth.

The 40k oil change issue caught some colleagues out who also had problems - you had to have had a gearbox oil change at the 40k point, or the warranty was invalidated. Given that the Audi variable service interval program meant services typically at 17k and 35k, Audi werent doing the oil change at the 35k service as it wasnt quite due. However, it the box failed at 45k (which happened) then they refused to honour the warranty on it. Luckily, I was aware of this, and requested it done on mine.. so at least when I had issues they were covered, I still lost the car for over a week each time though. Nightmare on one of them, as I was on my way to the ferry when it failed, got given a FOCUS by Audi (!) as a loan car for a france trip I was doing! I digress..

Granted - this was in the period 04 to 09 ish, and things might have improved - but there's no way Id pay a penny extra for DSG over a manual now, I absolutely wouldnt buy a secondhand one under any circumstances, and the manual would be the box of choice.

Just my opinion - but is one based on approx 150k miles over the three cars.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Torque converters in autos aren't "kinder" they are just an extra cushion that makes the transmission feel like it's being less stressed.
What a load of rubbishLOL: any extra cushion is a bonus to reducing the shock loads on a drive train. You obviously have a big disliking to the Dsg that's why you have the manual. End of conversation T:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
What a load of rubbishLOL: any extra cushion is a bonus to reducing the shock loads on a drive train. You obviously have a big disliking to the Dsg that's why you have the manual. End of conversation T:
They are an extra cushion for those that can't change gears properly. And see the comments above. I'm glad you like your DSG boxes but clearly others DON'T and your LR comments hint of someone that needs to find themselves a clue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts