VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody converted to something they've been able to 'live' in for more than a few weeks?
I'm trying to seek out the perfect van to convert and be proud of but that is spacious enough to live comfortably for a couple of months at a time while out traveling on a budget..
I'd love to see some interiors, storage solutions etc. and hear some of your stories :)
This is coming from a single 5"3 girl so not looking for a family size van or anything!

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
yep there are a few on here that have (or still do) live in theirs.

layout. depends on what you want. broad storage? bike storage? Sex slave in a cupboard!

what power will you have? hook up. solar, nothing?

and welcome.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
To my way of thinking if I was to live in it for a few months I'd probably want to be able to stand up straight so would be looking towards something a bit taller than a standard T4.
If its summer months living then a lifting roof would be fine but if winter then I'd be staying solid so I could use insulation, after all no one likes cold.
Downsides with a bigger van are probably increased fuel costs, access constraints (max height 2 meter entrances).

There are a few threads on here for larger vans http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=323889&postcount=1

·
Registered
528 Posts
Having had an l shape bed and a rock n roll with side cupboards, the l shapes miles better. More room, comfy, isn't a pain in the every time you want to get in a cupboard, just have one tall cupboard behind he driver and your laughing. Just don't be tempted to have 'another kid' like my missis is, otherwise it's rnr bed only :-( (she costs me a bloody fortune!)

I'd get a pop top and get an insulated liner and an eberspacher, and some massive batteries. That's what we done, and we don't need to zig up if we keep moving about.

Have a look at stokedeversince's page for some idea what I mean. They spend serious months on end in that van.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Eight years now - mostly full time for the first four and permanent since 2009 - in a T4 SWB which originally had a pop top but possum damage in Oz led me to a high top - IMHO the only practical arrangement for full time living. Loads of stories to tell and always happy to advise but top tip : downsize everything and make things dual or treble purpose. Life can be very simple but also hugely rewarding and surprisingly low budget if you ignore our consumer led culture. Don't get me wrong - modern technology and design makes for very comfortable living and I doubt I will ever go back to bricks, mortar and mortgages again. PM if you want any advice or trawl through www.sastt.blogspot.com - the OZ and NZ trip was 2009-11 but recently the Nordkapp and Morocco have been equally amazing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eight years now - mostly full time for the first four and permanent since 2009 - in a T4 SWB which originally had a pop top but possum damage in Oz led me to a high top - IMHO the only practical arrangement for full time living. Loads of stories to tell and always happy to advise but top tip : downsize everything and make things dual or treble purpose. Life can be very simple but also hugely rewarding and surprisingly low budget if you ignore our consumer led culture. Don't get me wrong - modern technology and design makes for very comfortable living and I doubt I will ever go back to bricks, mortar and mortgages again. PM if you want any advice or trawl through www.sastt.blogspot.com - the OZ and NZ trip was 2009-11 but recently the Nordkapp and Morocco have been equally amazing.

Your bogs are amazing! Completely inspiring. I have read everything up until July 2013 but as I'm supposed to be working I'll read the rest over the weekend. It's been like a good book I can't put down. Good old trusty t4 looking after you throughout your travels. The pictures are great -makes me want to pack up and go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's the Welsh bogs that are really amazing - but thank you for the kind comments and best of luck with future plans.
Could do a blog on bogs if there was sufficient interest!
Best part of living on the road - meeting the others out there doing the same (or even better) : Mark and Senna round the world on trial bikes, Ghi cycling RTW, Andy and Maya on a sidecar combo in South America, Joe heading north in his Mini, Pete and Nina living the dream with their Dyson - all inspiring people !

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yep, would say hightop a must
unless you're out to really impress it can be done on a tight budget - useful if you tend to live that way anyway, a diy & mender.
only the 2 of us, we are totally self contained, it's a great feeling whether camping, out for a days walk or shopping, do all our own drinks, meals etc so saves a lot. never really have fixed plans, just wild without awnings etc & see where things take us. our only vehicle
we regularly happily do 6 weeks away & could carry on for longer. often meet peops whose only abode is the van - they have a real variety of layouts & seem quite content, just think what is most likely to suit your needs & experiment

·
Registered
37 Posts
In mine all the time but I have only the bare essentials I have found that the more cupboards and storage you have the more unnessicary build up of you have so I make sure I have the essentials and nothing els I also have 2 body boards 3 wetsuits a long board and my bike plus all my riding gear and it is still super livable :) have a look at my album and let me know what you think :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts