VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just having new tyres fitted on the rear, what's the correct tyre pressure they are 19inch low profile alloys it's a full camper conversion weight wise??? :*

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
I just have a look on the tyre and go a few psi below the maximum tyre pressure T:

(but thats just me)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have a look on the tyre and go a few psi below the maximum tyre pressure T:

(but thats just me)
Cheers mate sounds like a plan didn't want to knacker the tyre as they are low profile T: Hows your velle??

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Poorly :( booked in for a good look over though. Sounds like I might have been lucky, fingers crossed ;)

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,226 Posts
I'm NOT sure of my facts here....just working from basic physics....

You have a certain weight of van....
That weight rests upon the road.....
Tyre pressures are in Pounds Per Square Inch (or Bar, if you want to be silly!)

So...PER SQUARE INCH is the important bit.

Does it matter if a WIDTH of 6 inches or 12 inches is in contact, as long as the SQUARE inch pressure is the same?

A wider tyre actually has less rubber touching the road in the front/back area, but more side to side....unless you want to drag race and run them almost flat!

MY thinking is...if the std tyres were 195/70 -15s ...running at 55psi. then a 245/30 -19 will still want 55 pounds PER SQUARE INCH. :confused:

Whatever the van weighs, the tyres will take that load if set to the same pressure.

I hope someone will come back with a different answer, as I run my winter tyres at 50 psi (std size, but with studs) and my summer 245/45-17s at 45 psi....but I do it for comfort.
No abnormal wear on either set....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts