VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me some of this mad insulating material, apparently used in the aviation industry for soundproofing and insulating...

As you can see it's a layer of lead sandwiched between dense foam and covered in a tuff foil type material, it measures about 10mm thick in total...

This pic only shows two strips of self adhesive, but other stuff I have has the entire back covered in it, making it easier to apply with a wallpaper edge roller.

I'm gonna give it a go soon. Has anyone else seen or used this stuff on their van? I'm hoping that it's gonna make a whole lotta difference in noise reduction.

Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bet its not cheap how much per metre square??
Apparently not, someone gave it to me...thought I might be able to use it on the van. The 'pack' I have will probably do the cab and most of the back....£300+.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think I've seen a thread where someone has used it, or somethin really similar, and if its good enough to insulate aircraft, i cant see why it shouldn't be any good !

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one, can anyone point me in the right direction of that previous thread?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately, not a chance as it was last year, cant even remeber who it was, but he got it from a friend - sorry
No worries man, thanks anyway.

I'm gonna install it bit by bit and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not seen it on any civil jet I worked on. Closest I come across to that is leaded vynle. Possibly of a fast jet? :confused:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not seen it on any civil jet I worked on. Closest I come across to that is leaded vynle. Possibly of a fast jet? :confused:
Interesting, the guy I got it from said it was used in Concorde, I dismissed this as rubbish. But why a fast jet?

·
Registered
632 Posts
It looks old school (lead isnt used much now) so Concord is possible. Fast jet because there smaller so the insulation is denser also the use of lead was more common.

If its aircraft stuff I wouldnt use it on you van(esp old school stuff). If you get a fire it will burn and the smoke is highly toxic.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, if my van catches fire they'll be plenty of other toxic stuff in there to burn so I might risk it under the cab mat.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bloody hell, I'm scared ****less now!

Anyone want £300 worth of sound proofing/insulation?....goin cheap!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts