VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

Still at the deciding what to do stage and was just wondering if anyone had done a converson without gas and whether they put in 2 ring electric hob or microwave oven?

From what I can read DVLA requirements state that you need to have fitted a 2 ring gas hob, 2 ring electric hob or microwave oven.

We weren't planning on a gas heater - Either going to attempt electric underfloor heating or use a small oil filled radiator, which I know a few use.

On the whole, whilst we'll have an odd night here and there wild camping, if we're away for several nights, we'll probably be at a campsite, so electric hookup shouldn't be a problem.

We also come from a camping background, so have a trangia stove which we could easily take along for cooking when we are somewhere without electric hookup.

Also, thinking of getting chest-style fridge as they don't suffer the same losses when opened and so should require less energy in the long run.

Was thinking of trying to put in 2 leisure batteries in parallel, but have still to get further into this to check out batteries dimensions and capacities and where we can put them.

So, what are people's views on this? - Is it possible to not bother with gas in the campervan?

And anyone who has used a 2 ring electric hob or microwave oven for their cooking means, can you please tell me what you've put in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hear you. I too do most of my camping at proper sites. So, I don't need a sink and associated tanks, plumbing, electrics etc. I have an Engel portable top opening fridge which can store lots of stubbies. I built an appallingly industrial 'Grand Unit Domestique' in battleship grey (two ring burner screwed to a plywood box containing gas bottle and plastic crate full of pans and cuttlery). I stuck an 80Ah leisure battery in a ply box next to the wheel arch and rigged it up to the main battery with a split charger. A simple fuse box powers a few reading lights. A removable bed knocked up from 2b4 (or something) with wobbly swing out legs and a ply top for a bed. A couple of foam mattresses and silver screens. Job done. 4 years of out door happiness. My mate just has a camp bed with mattress in the back. He bought a simple two ring cannister stove unit and bodged it into the top of a kitchen unit. Perfect. No frills simplicity. It makes good tea.
The only proviso with personal decisions are whether you want the van to look smart, say if you want to sell, or if you want to carry folk safely in the back. If you don't have these constraints you do what you want. Vans are great :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts