VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the cracked plastic at the base of the auto gearlever, not the main console part but the rectangular piece that sits in this which the gearstick actually slides up and down on. I'm guessing it keeps all the crud out. It's now split so badly it's hard to change gear. I have identified the part at vw but before i order it, please does anyone know what kind of job it is to replace this? I'm hoping the whole lever doesn't have to come out. Any advice very much appreciated as always. Thank you.
(2001 auto caravelle) :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am guessing you are talking about some very thin black plastic that slides backwards & forwards with the lever. If it is, I replaced mine years ago when I had an auto [my wife broke it while vacuuming] It's very easy & from memory there is a grub screw under the handle that is removed first. After that it is straightforward dismantle job.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I keep promising to replace mine and keep forgetting. There is a screw that takes the knob :)eek:) off and it is an easy dismantle. Do you have a part number and price? T:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo Hoo I love this Forum - huge thanks to all for replying, sorry only just got round to logging on. Hoping to change it tomorrow now I've read your info. It is the thin bit of plastic - Part No KZ 0 701713605 and cost less than £5.00.T: Many thanks again for being so helpful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi got a big hole in mine too just done box atf filter and gaskets.
Oil strainer £27.53
GASKET £26.90
Small gasket £3.14 + vat £67.64
But changes gear real nice now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to be doing a gearbox oil service too - how easy did you find it to do? Fitting the cover strip was a 10 minute job (as advised thank you). The part number on the actual invoice is 70171360501C and it's £4.52 + VAT to be exact. Looks much better now A:

·
Registered
130 Posts
gearbox oil service dead easy just make sure you clean the outside first then no probs with dirt and grit getting into the new oil.Took about 40 mins

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found this thread while looking for the shifter cover (KZ 0 701 713 605) somewhere online to purchase. Since that endeavor was unsuccessful, I called my Local VW dealership. The parts department informed me that this is a special order part which will cost me $27.86 + tax. I chuckled, hung up the phone, and went down the street to the 99 cent store where I purchased a plastic three ring binder which has enough material to make more than 10 of these covers. All you have to do is some precision cutting with an exact o knife. The original material measures about .5mm and what I purchased is about .4mm.

I'd rather make my own than pay Volkswagen an insanely high price for a little piece of stamp-cut plastic. I hope this helps someone else out there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I posted photos in the following album
shifter cover KZ 0 701 713 605
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=23484

This shifter cover (shown in Blue) was made from the plastic three ring notebook from the 99 cent store and took 10 minutes to cut with a hobby knife saving me about $29 USD

KZ 0 701713605
KZ 0701713605
KZ0701713605
Resurrecting a REALLY old thread. But thankyou, needed this :-D

·
Registered
591 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts