VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys T:

Anyone know how i go about getting a Patent on a design i have?

I have a great idea but no Clue when it comes to protecting it :(

Any help happily received :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
How deep are your pockets? It's an expensive process likely to cost in excess of 25k for European rights alone..

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How deep are your pockets? It's an expensive process likely to cost in excess of 25k for European rights alone..
Really? for one little design? Sounds a bit steep.... Hmmm thats me outta the water then.... Guess i would just have to go for it and just let others copy then :*

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Get as much proof as you can about the date of your idea with drawings etc.
Then put patent pending on your product, it should put most people off copying and who's to say when you'll apply for the patent ?
It's pending you start the ball rolling on filling in the forms or even get them filled in you don't have to post them off yet.:D
if all the above makes sense.

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get as much proof as you can about the date of your idea with drawings etc.
Then put patent pending on your product, it should put most people off copying and who's to say when you'll apply for the patent ?
It's pending you start the ball rolling on filling in the forms or even get them filled in you don't have to post them off yet.:D
if all the above makes sense.
Yeah that was another thing i was gonna ask.. Thats a good idea T:

I have sent the initial drawings to myself and keeping sealed to prove the date..
Problem is i cant make the product myself so will need to involve others, hence why trying to protect it (from them!) but obviously if i get orders they will get more work so i wouldnt think they would bother too much :ILU:

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some places to find info,

The Patent Office: 01633 814 000 http://www.patent.gov.uk

Institute of Patentees & Inventors: 189 Regent Street, London W1R 7WR. http://www.invent.org.uk

Chartered Institute Of Patent Agents: http://www.cipa.org.uk
Hi Neal
Have spoken to the patent office a couple of times, they also want to steal my idea unfortunatly :( Cant trust em..

Sorry, that apostrophe' (it's) shouldn't be there. Cheers, Tony.
Received thanks.. T:

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
i'm not sure if it works the same. but this works with songs, books etc.

Apply for the patent etc.............but also
stick the plans, drawings, doodles etc in an envelope and post it recorded delivery to yourself (but don't open it)
if you ever need to defend it ..........you can take the unopened letter to court and have them open it there

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm not sure if it works the same. but this works with songs, books etc.

Apply for the patent etc.............but also
stick the plans, drawings, doodles etc in an envelope and post it recorded delivery to yourself (but don't open it)
if you ever need to defend it ..........you can take the unopened letter to court and have them open it there
Yes i've done this but as you say it only proves when i had the idea.. Thanks T:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have thought in the past that it seems an odd way to "protect" your invention (the posting it to yourself thing)

What would happen if for example, you had an idea and told nobody about it. Posted a copy of your inventions details to yourself and left it sealed. A year later someone halfway round the world puts on sale the same product.

He didn't steal the idea from you, he just had the same idea and acted on it faster than you did. I would imagine that the sealed envelope would be worth less to you than you paid to post it to yourself, in that situation.

Would mean nothing without a patent application I don't think ?

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have thought in the past that it seems an odd way to "protect" your invention (the posting it to yourself thing)

What would happen if for example, you had an idea and told nobody about it. Posted a copy of your inventions details to yourself and left it sealed. A year later someone halfway round the world puts on sale the same product.

He didn't steal the idea from you, he just had the same idea and acted on it faster than you did. I would imagine that the sealed envelope would be worth less to you than you paid to post it to yourself, in that situation.

Would mean nothing without a patent application I don't think ?
Your right Neal but it will protect me in the first instance from the company/persons i ask to make my prototype for me. There is nothing to stop them changing it slightly and marketing it before i do but i can prove where they got the idea from in the first place wouldnt you think? Im new to all this and its the first realistic idea i've had :D

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that makes sense mate. You can protect yourself with it but very locally.
Basically yes but i think it would cover the Uk to a degree. Its a shame its not easier to protect an idea, products are obviously easier with patents etc but these cost a lot of money to obtain plus it won't stop people changing the design anyway and running with it.
Im looking at trying to save people like us a bit of money and giving them another option when it comes to a tried and tested product already on the market. I suppose you could say i've changed someone elses idea and made it more affordable the difference being my idea is unique in its own right ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your blue prints or drawings need to be on copyright, and you have got to think about other ways your item could be made but slightly different and also get them copyright , it's just like light bulb it started off as a patent but look now everyone's making them.... Because a patent only last about 15 years or so, someone might have already done your idea and got a patent but never made it and that's one thing you have to look for via the patent office .. If not Dragons den lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think the post it to yourself thing is only legally recognised in copyright (not patented) cases where the work is in the public domain ie.published.. I may be wrong..

·
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your blue prints or drawings need to be on copyright, and you have got to think about other ways your item could be made but slightly different and also get them copyright , it's just like light bulb it started off as a patent but look now everyone's making them.... Because a patent only last about 15 years or so, someone might have already done your idea and got a patent but never made it and that's one thing you have to look for via the patent office .. If not Dragons den lol
Well i simply cant afford to patent every possible variation.
This all started from me wanting a product and not being able to afford it so looking at otherways i could solve the problem and as cheap as possible. Now i think others may want it too so thought about trying to protect it before i do.
Its early stages, im getting a prototype made for me to look at and will go from there.
Guess i will just have to see what happens :ILU:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Make sure on your drawings that you write the word copyright inside the drawing or that it joins onto your drawing so that if any one gets hold of your drawings they can't cut it off! might seem an irrelevant comment but had it happen to a friend and they had no claim on there own drawings! :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts