VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I am going to install a brand new Apple iMAC Mini into my T4 van so I can take long weekends away in the camper and catch up with work here and there (i'm a graphic designer). Has anyone attempted this? Not sure how I am going to power it at the moment, I have a leisure battery and a couple of 3 pin plug sockets, but I want the computer hard wired in so I can keep these sockets free and evetually use the computer as a media centre aswell.

At the moment I have picked out:

1x - iMAC Mini 2.4GHz : 320GB
1x - Samsung SyncMaster LD220 Lapfit Monitor (USB powered!)

The plan is to use the monitor on my table in the camper as it stands up like a picture frame, it also is USB so only has one thin cable. The mouse and keyboard will be wireless.

The plan is to use the monitor on my table in the camper as it stands up like a picture frame, it also is USB so only has one thin cable. The mouse and keyboard will be wireless.

Will get some pics of where in the camper that I want it to live. If anyone can give any advice, it would be helpful, as I can't find anything on the internet about somebody who has done this in a VW campervan. I live in Bristol, might have to consult a local electrician!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have taken a photo of the battery area (under driver seat) and the area (the left of the fridge) where I think the iMAC might be mounted. It could go under seat to I guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That sounds pretty cool.

One thing to consider is all the vibrations on the floor of the van could mess up the hard disk?!

Surley it would be easier to buy a macbook. That way then it means that it doesnt have to say in the van all the time, and the battery life are pretty good, so as long as its charged before you go, you will only need very little power to keep it topped up??

Matt

·
Registered
214 Posts
That sounds pretty cool.

One thing to consider is all the vibrations on the floor of the van could mess up the hard disk?!
Good excuse to upgrade to an SSD disk :)

Would have a bash with an old mac mini, maybe not with a brand new one.

Keep us posted, sounds like a great project.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Surley it would be easier to buy a macbook. That way then it means that it doesnt have to say in the van all the time, and the battery life are pretty good, so as long as its charged before you go, you will only need very little power to keep it topped up??

Matt
I second that... buy a macbook. If you are a graphic designer surely the screen quality will be important to you? That Samsung unit might be good, but won't come close to the quality of a mac screen.

Jon

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use a netbook on my travels.... about 8 hours of use on a charge, I have a TV card and a 3g modem so I can keep in touch with emails etc and have some TV in the van. Its a great solution as the net book is only £220 so I'm not that bothered about leaving it unattended in the van, plus it is easily hidden out of sight. Probably the most useful bit of kit I have in the van. I can run it off the 12v cig lighter, highly recommended

Dice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts