VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

My new Pioneer Appradio just arrived and i've decided to have a go and wire it myself.
This would be the first stereo i've done, but I am confident.. with your help!

I have a 2005 T5 with stock double din stereo.
I have already taken out the head unit, and it leaves me with the 1 set of wires to a white harness, and an aerial.

Been reading the instructions and connection seems pretty simple for most parts.

Since I am an electrical rookie, I need to know exactly what to do with the new wires from the back of the Appradio..
It looks like every wire colour has a matching wire colour on the VW end.

Do I need to cut those wires on the other end and then connect to the new wires, OR can I just insert the new wires in to the white plug that the VW wires run in to?

This would be a great start thanks.
I have checked other forums and threads about this, but I'm very unsure still.

Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture I took with everything plugged in. Just need to hook up the aerial and all the individual wires to the VW port.

Any suggestions?

Do the colours just match up, or is VW different to the Pioneer cables?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after having some beers with my electrical engineer friend, that head unit is installed and working perfectly.

Turns out most of those cables are useless!
We went further down the harness and unplugged the 2 sockets in the black harness and they went direct in to the new unit. BINGO!

Then grounded the green handbrake wire for more functions on the move.

Iphone cable through the back of the hazard light tray. Mic through the dash to the drivers side, GPS to the right and passenger side dash.

2hr job done, and would take an hour if you knew exactly what you were doing.

Sorry to bother you all with this!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, after having some beers with my electrical engineer friend, that head unit is installed and working perfectly.

Turns out most of those cables are useless!
We went further down the harness and unplugged the 2 sockets in the black harness and they went direct in to the new unit. BINGO!

Then grounded the green handbrake wire for more functions on the move.

Iphone cable through the back of the hazard light tray. Mic through the dash to the drivers side, GPS to the right and passenger side dash.

2hr job done, and would take an hour if you knew exactly what you were doing.

Sorry to bother you all with this!
I'm getting one fitted on Friday, and im interested to know what you have connected up ? Iphone , Andriod ?
Any tips or tricks ?

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Surprised you managed to just earth the handbrake cable. When I fitted mine I hade to wire a relay to the handbrake cable as the unit had to be fooled into thinking that the handbrake was being applied in order to unlock the extra features! Easy enough to do though as plenty of guides on YouTube. Also I had to swap around two wires in the connector block to get a constant live to hold the presets for the radio. Other than that was easy enough to fit as I managed it and I'm not exactly an expert at these sort of things.
Think there a fantastic headunit. Going to order a obdII wifi dongle next I think but not too happy about the 35 notes for dash command when there are free ones like logworks out there that do the same job! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Surprised you managed to just earth the handbrake cable. When I fitted mine I hade to wire a relay to the handbrake cable as the unit had to be fooled into thinking that the handbrake was being applied in order to unlock the extra features! Easy enough to do though as plenty of guides on YouTube. Also I had to swap around two wires in the connector block to get a constant live to hold the presets for the radio. Other than that was easy enough to fit as I managed it and I'm not exactly an expert at these sort of things.
Think there a fantastic headunit. Going to order a obdII wifi dongle next I think but not too happy about the 35 notes for dash command when there are free ones like logworks out there that do the same job! :D

RE: The handbrake bypass, is yours an AppRadio V1 or V2. Ive seen a few posting for V2 appradios saying they just needed to earth the handbreak signal connection and it worked ok.

·
Registered
392 Posts
RE: The handbrake bypass, is yours an AppRadio V1 or V2. Ive seen a few posting for V2 appradios saying they just needed to earth the handbreak signal connection and it worked ok.
It's the first one da-01 that only works for iPhone but fully updated so would presume that you would need to do the bypass for the newe da-100 too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts