15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Nice one. T:
Bit far from me.
Hopefully someone on here will take them. :*

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nice looking set up you have there mate. My 60l is the ball type. My colleague who I got it off also said she had a 90l that I could have for free as we'll but when she got it out found it had a hole in it do just gave me the spares from it including another intelli light. Ready through the fish forums your right there is a lot of negativity around them but mines been running at least a month now and water still as clear as the day I set it up and fish still really happy. I do find people get really hung up on the dos and donts. We currently have our inteli light set on the 14 hrs cycle I think it is as we find the blue light is to dark and you can hardly see the fish when sat down of an evening.
Cheers bud. I found that when I was running a 14hr lighting programme the green algae started to build up. As soon as I dropped it to 8 hours and popped 6 amano shrimp in, the algae disappeared. I have the daylight start at 1400hrs so the lights are on before we return from work, and begins to drop into night mode around the time I'm thinking of turning in. Good luck with your set up!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
had a set-up years ago
3 piranhas, one ate the other 2
2 big oscars that we fed by hand
liked our gouramis, laid eggs readily then carried the young in their mouths

could do no wrong to start with, everything bred easily, then as we got more experienced seemed to lose the knack
just do it virtually now.............

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Doing alright at the moment :D
About 15 Cichlids in breeds x3 (2 females and a male for each breed)
2 Synodontis and a Clown Plec none of which you'll see without a torch and darkness. I:

Actually there are some Cichlid fry in and amongst the stones that i've only just become aware of but i've no idea who the mummy or daddy is so i'll just have to wait for them to mature...they're not the same brood as those I have isolated though as they're much bigger :*

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Here's my 60L tank.

I've got 3 bristle nose plecs.
9 neons.
And a load of mongrel guppies. (They're going to my grand nephew)

I was gonna get some dwarf cichlids.
I've made caves out if the bog wood.
But I saw these fish called baddis?
Like little red stripy dudes. Males go blue. T:
Boss they are. Like mini cichlids. Ish. T:

Gonna get some of them when the guppies are gone.

I want to keep everything as small as poss in this one.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Doing alright at the moment :D
About 15 Cichlids in breeds x3 (2 females and a male for each breed)
2 Synodontis and a Clown Plec none of which you'll see without a torch and darkness. I:

Actually there are some Cichlid fry in and amongst the stones that i've only just become aware of but i've no idea who the mummy or daddy is so i'll just have to wait for them to mature...they're not the same brood as those I have isolated though as they're much bigger :*
Very nice mate. T:

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
I also have a 60 litre BiOrb Cube tank (one of those rectangular upright jobbies) in the study...it's not running as a BiOrb should...just a fairly big heavy duty internal filter and loads of coral sand with some plastic plants but it's home to 30 neons and a solitary Danio. T:

I've always wanted just a tank of neons...30 of them all shoaling around is pretty damn impressive...very pretty and no work to maintain really :D

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Here's my 60L tank.

I've got 3 bristle nose plecs.
9 neons.
And a load of mongrel guppies. (They're going to my grand nephew)

I was gonna get some dwarf cichlids.
I've made caves out if the bog wood.
But I saw these fish called baddis?
Like little red stripy dudes. Males go blue. T:
Boss they are. Like mini cichlids. Ish. T:

Gonna get some of them when the guppies are gone.

I want to keep everything as small as poss in this one.
Nice little community there T:

I was torn between a community tank and cichlids....every single cichlid I have is an Aulonocara (Peacock)...possibly the least aggressive of the Malawi cichlids and I think the most beautiful too :cool:

So many others i'd like but the missus has put the kybosh on any more tanks :(

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Yeah. That's what I want really. They look boss shoaling around.
But with a few other bods knocking round.

Good work Si. T:
Didn't know you had fish. That's nice to know.

I got a plec from a shop a couple of months back.
Thought it was a bristle nose. Only it's not.
It's about 6" long now. 18" the fella said. :eek:
He said he'd buy it back off me. But I've got attached to it.
Might have to get another tank for him/her/it.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Nice little community there T:

I was torn between a community tank and cichlids....every single cichlid I have is an Aulonocara (Peacock)...possibly the least aggressive of the Malawi cichlids and I think the most beautiful too :cool:

So many others i'd like but the missus has put the kybosh on any more tanks :(
Hahahahahaha!!
Same here. My mrs has put her foot down with a firm hand.

When I saw my mates tank. I wanted a planted tank.
So that's what I got.
Didn't really know about cichlids or owt like that.
My mate has dwarfs in his community tank.
But I've got enough in the other one for now.
Shrimp are kickin off now too.

It's very interesting and I just love to watch.
Sod the telly!!

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
They do grow! ....ancistrus are a better bet but even some of them can get big. :)

He might buy it back but he'll give you bugger all for it...it's the biggest problem with plecs - people underestimate how big they can get. LOL:

If you're looking to keep smaller pretty fish a bit like cichlids have you thought about Rams. They're beautiful and if your water's a bit softer they'll do really well. (You can always use RO water anyway - it's cheap as chips). Technically they are a cichlid and I think they stay quite small T:

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Ah ok. I've heard of rams.
I'll look into that one. Cheers la. T:
Good info.

My water is as soft as the driven snow. :)

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Mine's nails else i'd have some Rams too :)

Be nice to have a tank with an Indonesian Tiger Fish :cool: In the wild they kill other fish by attacking the eyes first and if you're looking at them in the tank they stare and follow your own eyes with the same intent!! :eek: I'm not actually into aggressive fish as a rule but first time I saw one of these things bogging me out it kinda got me intrigued :)

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hahahahaha! LOL:
They sound bonkers!!

It's great learning about fish. I know next to nothing really.
Well. I know just enough to keep these ones alive anyway. T:

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Like most of nature...if it's colourful it's a warning signal... :)

Just took these before lights out on the tank...my main three males...a Nyassae Red, a Nyassae Blue and a Marble (colours will change a lot more with this one). Stunning fish and because i've selected totally contrasting variations there's not so much fighting as they don't think they're another rival male :cool:

81 - 100 of 137 Posts