VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls,
I am seeking a little advice with regards to a 1995 2.4d auto Caravelle. Unfortunately last year I had to sell my stunning 1998 2.5tdi T4 to buy a new house. I have missed it greatly and would like to buy another but still don't have a huge amount of cash to blow on a ready done camper. Having said this I would rather do the work myself as before so the van is to my own tastes. I have always liked the modest simple interiors of the old caravelles and I have 2 kids so the factory fitted seats & belts are a massive bonus. I have recently come across a local 1995 2.4d auto Caravelle for sale at what I consider to be a reasonable £2400. The only issue is I don't have a great deal of knowledge with the autos. I know the normally aspirated 2.4 is know as somewhat of a workhorse even if it is a little short on power but have know idea whether there are any common problems with the autos? The mileage is also a little out of my comfort zone at 170000! I would normally decide against purchasing a van like this but it is completely original and desperate to be slammed on some nice new wheels! Any advise or information on these vans would be much appreciated.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had a 2.4 D Caravelle manual for 10 years and 200k miles. It was a little slow but always up there with the traffic. As an Auto Box in may be a little slower but the engine is a solid lump of VW that never let me down and always started.

If the van looks and sounds good, its just the Auto Box to worry about. Chances are that it will be based on the old style of Auto Box which is at least tried, tested and repairs can be made. The newer 7 speed dual clutch auto box sounds good but you have to wonder about the costs when they go t1ts up.

Good luck T:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts