VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new T5 Kombi Highline T30 180 which we are due to have converted to a camper by New Wave at the end of the month. I've spoken to a few people regarding wheel size and a few have warned against going above 18" for a camper.

What are your thoughts on 19 or 20" wheels? Any pros/cons? I like the aesthetic appeal, but not if other aspects of the ride are compromised etc.

BTW The van currently has OEM 17" Thunder allows.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi there,

I have 20" on my shuttle. I personally would be nervous keeping them if I were to ever do a camper conversion. Pot holes have claimed two casualties with a standard van weight since I've had it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
BTW The van currently has OEM 17" Thunder allows.
I would stick with the Thunders, great looking wheel.

There are a few reports of 20" cracking on the forum, but how this works out as a percentage i am not sure - [I have never seen any reports of genuine VW wheels cracking?]

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 275/40/20's on mine but i am currently changing to All Terrains on the standard rims, 3 front 20" tyres have split hitting potholes and 1 alloy cracked (very proffesionally repaired but not the point)

i wouldnt have 20's on a van again. Rnage rovers use 50 profile tyres not the 40's people put on vans so range rover wheels are more resiliant to potholes due to the higher side wall.

My van is simply Kombi style so no real weight in it ever.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My van is running 275/35 20 on H and R -40mm springs, and the ride is smoother than one of our other vans on Sportline suspension with 18's. You do however need to be aware of potholes - But thats standard with big wheels.

One thing to note is the MPG is worse on the bigger wheels. We have two vehicle's, 4 motion dsg 180's, one running 20's and the other running 18's, the smaller wheeled vehicle is a good 3-4mpg better on fuel.

Ive just ordered another van, and Ill be running 20's again T:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and advice! I think I'm going away from the 20" wheel choice. Perhaps 18's and -40mm drop will help to improve the looks. Maybe the new black Sportline 18s will make enough of an impact but without too many of the negatives etc.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I have 275/40/20's on mine but i am currently changing to All Terrains on the standard rims, 3 front 20" tyres have split hitting potholes and 1 alloy cracked (very proffesionally repaired but not the point)

i wouldnt have 20's on a van again. Rnage rovers use 50 profile tyres not the 40's people put on vans so range rover wheels are more resiliant to potholes due to the higher side wall.

My van is simply Kombi style so no real weight in it ever.
Range Rover discovery may come with 45 and 50 profile tyres but the RR sport comes with 40 profile tyres as standard especially on Stormer wheels (275-40-20)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really like 20's but opted for genuine sportline 18's, I also have id lowered 30mm on vw sportline springs (only did genuine as vw did them for free following a up with my van. its a personal choice, on balance id stick with 18's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like 20's but opted for genuine sportline 18's, I also have id lowered 30mm on vw sportline springs (only did genuine as vw did them for free following a up with my van. its a personal choice, on balance id stick with 18's
Looks good! I think I'll do the same but with the black Sportlines!!T:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Range Rover discovery may come with 45 and 50 profile tyres but the RR sport comes with 40 profile tyres as standard especially on Stormer wheels (275-40-20)
Plus decent wheel arch clearance and thousands of pounds worth of air supsension to soak up the potholes, unlike my van thats running a 25-30mm gap on the arch and pretty hard springs :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Love my 20's and would not be without them, but that said its a full camper and only gets used for camping so sits on the drive when we are not away in it so potholes etc are not really an issue for us as no daily driving.

But strong load rated wheels and tyres should stand up to all bar the largest craters in our roads.

Big pro for me is that its drives and handles so well on 20's, but I guess that is down to what you are used too, my other car is a Impreza so the van is way more comfortable!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't be put off 20s as they look great and as long as you don't go to low with 275 40 20 you should have mo problem. I've got 255 35 20s on mine as they came with wheels but changing to 255 40 20s soon. Drives great no problems so far and I'm all the way down on bilstiens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am tempted by 20's but think I'll play safe and go with the 18's. Nice to get people's opinion though!! Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Don't be put off 20s as they look great and as long as you don't go to low with 275 40 20 you should have mo problem. I've got 255 35 20s on mine as they came with wheels but changing to 255 40 20s soon. Drives great no problems so far and I'm all the way down on bilstiens.
I am just about to put my 20's on and they have 255-40 tyres on so I will let you know how it goes, I am also having Bilstein B14's fitted next month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picking the van up tomorrow and ended up going with 20" BBS ones on Eibach 50mm springs. Seen a couple of pics of the van and they look cracking! I'll have to wait and see how they perform on a day to day business :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've heard lots of folk saying 20's 'improve handling' but I don't get it (unless they are comparing to other 19" alloys?).
My van has the RR Sport Alloys, running standard tyres for this wheel (275-40-20), currently a mixture of the high-end tyres that came with the alloys and a pair of economy replacements.

For me, compared to the original VW steel wheels, the van drives markedly different: much heavier steering, can really feel the bigger wheels, and as a result is less nimble (round local suburbs), plus a bit noisier. This is for low speeds, there are no issue at motorway running speed. Whenever I swap back onto steels, to avoid small amount of tyre-rub at MOT time, its quite pleasant to drive to the garage and back. But, I'll keep the 20's on for the looks alone! :)

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I've heard lots of folk saying 20's 'improve handling' but I don't get it (unless they are comparing to other 19" alloys?).
My van has the RR Sport Alloys, running standard tyres for this wheel (275-40-20), currently a mixture of the high-end tyres that came with the alloys and a pair of economy replacements.

For me, compared to the original VW steel wheels, the van drives markedly different: much heavier steering, can really feel the bigger wheels, and as a result is less nimble (round local suburbs), plus a bit noisier. This is for low speeds, there are no issue at motorway running speed. Whenever I swap back onto steels, to avoid small amount of tyre-rub at MOT time, its quite pleasant to drive to the garage and back. But, I'll keep the 20's on for the looks alone! :)
You could try a 255-40-20 tyre when yours wear out, may ease the steering up slightly and the rolling radias is closer to standard compared to the 275-40.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts